Wednesday 24 February 2021

Wanderlust 2021 - weeks five to eight - Ephemera

Week five was the start of the Ephemera topic, which I was really looking forward to.  I used an old photograph of my Granny with her sisters as the focal point and really enjoyed creating the background.  I asked Chris to give me a colour (I would normally go for blues and greens or other cold colours) and he chose red (a bit of pink and orange also made an appearance).  
Week six was split into several different ideas.  One was to use collage as the focus.  I decided to do this in my cardboard art journal.  I love the drippy paint effect and the way you can see the collage pieces.
I then did the 'collage as texture' and stuck my collage elements in place.  I liked this as it was, so took a photo of it as by the time I finished, you wouldn't be able to see it.
Here's the finished page.  You can see some bits of the collage if you look closely, but it is pretty much hidden.
Week seven was focusing on photos and making ephemera your own by adding scribbles and marks to it.  I did this on a piece of music paper and then scanned it in to the computer and printed it out, so that I can keep the original.    I did  this with some garden entry tickets I had kept and one featured on this spread. The colour scheme would be taken from the ephemera used. The photos again feature my granny, but in the right hand photo, she is with her children - my Mum is on the right of the photo.

Week eight was a bit more of a challenge. It was about focusing on your ideas and plans and then making a pile of ephemera including some material that had been stitched into.  Most of the ephemera was stuck down under another piece so that the maker was the only person who knew exactly what was in the pile. With my current 'circles' obsession, they appeared all over these pages.  I used an acrylic paint pen to draw the 'stitched' details, but there is real stitching on the material on the left hand page.

I am still loving the course, enjoying some weeks more than others, but giving everything a go!  It is giving me a lot to think about.

12 comments:

  1. You've done a great job, Ellie!!! I love all your pages! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I am enjoying the course very much and am learning new techniques which are fun to learn and explore.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. This is downright fascinating - even as an observer. Thank you for sharing some of your journeys through the course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It is a fascinating course where every week is something different and I am so enjoying that. I am also enjoying being able to use my stash!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. What fun and interesting techniques. I LOVE the two where you used the old photo's. As a person who loves genealogy that speaks to me. Like an old family journal of sorts. Hope you're staying well, staying safe from the Covid and are able to get your shots soon...if you've not already accomplished that.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I think the photos worked really well with those pages and Granny would be pleased that she is immortalised here. We're fine thank you, Chris has had his first jab and I hope I will be having mine in March/early April. I hope all is well with you too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Ellie, this is fantastic! Such creative work.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankas, Amalia. I am enjoying seeing the different styles of the teachers each week and then interpreting them in my journal.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Fascinating and such an interesting hobby. Great way to commemorate a special member of the family. This is giving me ideas for my family history hobby. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. It's a very enjoyable course. It was lovely to be able to add copies of family photos into the artwork.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work Ellie, it really does showcase a treasured family photo. Brilliant job xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Josie. I really enjoyed using the photos in the pages, so it is something I may well do more of.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete