Thursday 18 February 2021

Snowdrops

Usually around this time I head out with friends to visit a garden and admire the snowdrops. Over the years we have visited several local-ish places including Hodsock Priory, Brightwater Gardens and Doddington Hall.  However, this year they are all closed.  

In order to get my snowdrop fix, I suggested to Chris that we walk into the city centre to a little cemetery which we used to drive past on the way back from work sometimes.  Last Thursday, the weather was sunny with blue skies and although it was cold, we decided it would be the perfect time to go.  So we did.  The cemetery itself has been used for centuries - since the Iron Age, according to the board pictured above.  There are London Plane trees, sycamores and limes here too.  Considering it is in a relatively busy part of the city, on a through-road, it was extremely peaceful and there was a bird singing while we were there, which we really enjoyed listening to.   

There was still some snow here and there.
There was a carpet of aconites.
In the sunnier part of the cemetery, the snowdrops had opened a bit more.
One of my favourite flowers (as I tell anyone who will listen!)
There were lots of snowdrops to enjoy.
The trees shadows made some lovely patterns.
It made me so happy being in this peaceful place.
I really enjoyed the visit and will go again when the cow parsley is out, later in the Spring.

10 comments:

  1. It was snowdrops that inspired my new embroidery when it gets going.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Briony. How lovely - I look forward to seeing it!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I am a fan of old cemeteries too, Ellie. I find them peaceful as well. How beautiful your pictures are! The folks residing there appear to be quite comfortable in their gorgeous surroundings. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. They are fascinating places and full of social history, which I love. This is a little oasis of calm in the city and has a lovely atmosphere.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Yours is the second post in a row on my reading list this morning which has celebrated the beauty of this harbinger of spring. And how I wish I could have walked with either of you.
    Many, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. You would have been so very welcome to join us! I never tire of seeing snowdrops wherever they are.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Dear Ellie
    In England, the home of snowdrops, the view of countless flowers competing for attention is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Poirot. Although snowdrops aren't native to the UK, they have certainly been adopted by us here! I love them.
      These were galanthus nivalis (the 'common' snowdrop) but just as beautiful as any other flower.
      Best wsihes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Legend has it that after they had been thrown out of the Garden of Eden Eve cried to Adam that she was tired of the cold and of winter and when would it come to an end. An angel heard her and picked up a snowflake and turned it into a flower as white as snow which would show Eve when the winter was coming to an end and spring would be forthcoming. A sign of hope. = shortened version :-) keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I haven't heard that story before so thank you for sharing. They are certainly a sign of hope!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete