Sunday 9 May 2021

I'm making a journal

I have been watching lots of Youtube videos from people who make junk journals and this is something I like the idea of.  I am not sure what I would use them for, but creating something like this appeals.  Then I saw a small journal kit  (Lilac Haze) from Janie's Originals  and decided to buy it.  It arrived quickly and I waited for a few weeks without getting on with it (not sure why).  Eventually, I did get it out of the box and make it.  The original has a soft material spine and I decided I wanted a hard spine, so deviated a little from the instructions to create one.  The front is shown above.  In reality it is a brighter lilac than the photo would suggest.
Here's the back.  It has three signatures, sewn into the spine using three hole pamphlet stitch.
The pages are kraft card and recycled cartridge paper.  The most difficult bit was cutting the papers to fit (it took a while and they are nowhere near perfect.  However, I decided I can live with them as they are).  The third signature was the trickiest to sew in, but I got there in the end.
The kit gives you everything you need, including beads and ribbons to add spine dangles.  I haven't quite decided what I am going to do with them yet.  It also gives you some tags in the same patterned paper as the covers. The extras you need are glue, fabric glue, an awl/pokey tool and a craft knife/pair of scissors/paper cutter.
It was a very enjoyable project and I think I will be making some more of these, perhaps a little bigger, more of an A5 size. 

14 comments:

  1. I love seeing a little of your artistic journeys - thank you for sharing this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. So many projects and I keep getting distracted...
      I have now started an online watercolour class - not to paint 'proper' watercolours, but to explore what they do and hopefully to enjoy using them! The Wanderlust course is still going strong, then there's gardening, reading and the odd bit of sewing. Work just gets in the way!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Oh how fun, Ellie! You did a fantastic job!! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. It was fun to make and I think I shall have a go at making some more.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The journal is so pretty, it would really encourage anyone to start writing xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. It is a pretty journal and I enjoyed making it. I am not sure whether I will use it for writing or for art, or for a mixture of both!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. That is beautiful. My friend gave me a handmade journal for my 40th Birthday and I love it. I need a gardening one now I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It was very reasonably priced (£9.99 plus the postage) and gave you everything you needed. Ooh, a gardening journal sounds lovely - it would need to have lots of pages, I think!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. Fabulous make Ellie. The binding not only makes it look pretty but looks robust too. As for the the pages not being cut quite perfectly that I would say adds to the charm of it! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I agree, a bit of imperfection is fine with me! I would probably have to do a better job if I was giving it to someone though, unless it was a junk journal, where anything goes!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  7. So pretty! I do love a handmade journal. I used to do a lot of drawing and scapbooking, but mostly cheated and used pre-made books. This is much nicer. I've been meaning to make some fabric covers for my hardcover books, but this is maybe one for the winter when the gardening eases and the crafty urge takes over! Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I used a lovely pre-made journal for my art journal course, but the binding just couldn't cope with all the mixed media I was throwing at it. I have made my own now, using watercolour card and binder rings. So far, so good. I do love journals and books though, even if, like with this one, I have no idea what I shall put in it!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous journal, you must be very pleased with it!

    ReplyDelete