Friday 21 May 2021

Wanderlust 2021 - weeks seventeen to twenty - Recycling

Week seventeen was using a magazine image and keeping the pages around it, cutting them away to reveal the image, adding gesso, other images and colour.  I wasn't sure about this one and I'm still not. The original image is the jewellery piece.
Week eighteen had us looking in our stash for napkins, magazines, tissue paper, old books.  I was quite pleased with how this one ended up - judicious amounts of gesso in the background and shadowing the main images with black watercolour pencil to make them pop more. 
Week nineteen encouraged us to raid the recycling box for junk mail.  I used pizza leaflets, a politicial card, and the inside of security envelopes.  This is how it started...
...and this is where it ended up.  I used new stencils, outlining in black and white and some stamping too.  If you look closely, you can just see the security envelope patterns in some places.
Week twenty was about recycling material.  I used material left from sewing projects, including making facemasks.  The focal point was a photocopy transfer onto material.  However, to do that successfully, you needed a laser print, which I didn't have, so had to think about alternatives. I came up with a gel plate transfer print.  I had done these before onto paper but not onto fabric.  I looked at a Youtube video and then had a go.  It took a few goes - too much paint, the fabric too wet, but eventually it worked - the material was just damp and I used a thin layer of paint on the gel plate.  The stamped words were from a Visible image stamp and I masked off the rest of the quote.

So, a few challenges for this topic.    We move on to 'Poems and Quotes' which sounds intriguing.

6 comments:

  1. I love seeing your experimentation/adaptation.
    And hooray for the joy in ordinary things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. This course has really encouraged me to experiment and consider things I wouldn't have had before. The experiments aren't always successful, but it's all about the process and learning.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Hello Ellie, that looks like an exciting course to get the creative juices flowing. I've never used gesso before - now I'm feeling like I'm missing out! The purply flowers collage is beautiful. Plus that pizza pamphlet / security envelope collage is fab. Very pop art. I can imagine a whole wall plastered with security envelope print. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. It is a great course and gives me a really good creative focus each week. I really look forward to Fridays when the next lesson is available. White gesso is great for mixed media and for preparing substrates as it covers all kinds of papers and materials. It knocks colours back and, so is a great asset. You can also get black gesso and clear gesso too, depending what your project is.
      The collage started off being less than inspiring with the pizza leaflets etc. but it's amazing what paint, stencils and stamps can do!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Very interesting. I like the first 2 the best. You weren't wild about the first one, but I like it...perhaps it's the colors (I've always like blues and greens together). It looks sorta historic and a bit regal to me. Like the period of time when ladies wore big hats with feathers and heavy jewelry pieces. Anyway, I like the feel of that one.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. Blues and greens are my favourites too. It may grow on me as I work through the course. It was an interesting process to create the page and a technique I hadn't used before.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete