Sunday 11 July 2021

A little more to enjoy in the garden

I grew some pot marigolds from seed this year but they got rather long and leggy. I have put some in a pot for now and they have rewarded me by starting to flower.  They are such happy looking flowers, looking particularly pretty with a sprinkling of raindrops.
Clematis Princess Kate is looking the best I have ever seen her.  I potted her on into a big tub and she obviously likes it.  You can spot Rose William Shakespeare 2000 in his attempt at garden domination on the trellis at the back.
She has very elegant flowers.
My own cosmos were a disaster this year and eventually were eaten by slugs and snails, so I bought this one in.  Again, such a happy looking flower.

The blueberries are staring to crop now and I have enjoyed two raspberries so far too, from my autumn fruiting raspberries. They are a bit early, but very welcome, nonetheless. Some more pot watering and feeding is on the cards as even with the heavy rain showers we have been getting, the pots don't get very much water.   

11 comments:

  1. Loving your garden, and the rain bejewelled blooms. Pots always DO need a lot of watering don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Yes they do - definitely high maintenance, although I enjoy spending time watering using my watering can as it makes me look closely at the plants while I am watering them. I also use bottle waterers, so I try not to waste this precious resource. I also stagger the watering doing some pots one day and other the next, as and when they need it.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Your garden must be looking really beautiful with all the lovely plants and flowers. We have been picking our first cherry tomatoes and ensaladia toms, we have a couple of courgettes nearly ready along with peppers. So nice to wander out and pick your own xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. It is looking very nice out there at the moment with roses and clematis and the start of the hydrangeas. I agree about being able to pick your onw fruit/veg. It tastes better than anything you can buy!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. My hanging basket doesn't seem to profit much from the rain either, nor do the things I have planted in the tires. So I'm always out there watering something, it seems, no matter the weather. Your pictures are wonderful, Ellie! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I take watering time as thinking and looking time, so it is quite enjoyable. I need to plant some foxgloves for next year and they will have to be in pots - always something to do in the garden!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Stunning colours! Interesting to read that you use bottle waterers in pots. I have never used them in my balcony pots and it is so hot through out the summer months and although I water the pots practically daily the plants still have that exhausted dry look to them. I am wondering if bottle waterers would be preferable. Do you make your own or buy them ? Happy gardening Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I use empty 2 litre bottles and I attach tops with a plastic spike (watering plant spikes - there are some on ebay) with holes in that allows the water out gradually. I find that I don't waste any water that way as it goes into the pots and down. You could just drill holes into a bottle and that would do a similar job. You can also get fancy glass bulb waterers, but they don't hold as much water.
      Hopefully foxglove sowing will be taking place this afternoon.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
    2. Many thanks for the advice. A x

      Delete
  5. Beautiful rose and clematis combo! Marigolds and cosmos have such happy faces :) Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I like flowers with happy faces! I don't have enough daisy-type flowers in the garden.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete