Thursday 1 July 2021

Roses, clematis and an exotic-looking visitor

The garden continues to provide delights.  The final few roses are now in flower.  Above is a climbing rose, New Dawn.
This is Susan Williams-Ellis who is my latest addition (replacing Winchester Cathedral).
Another climber, Blush Noisette.
William Shakespeare 2000, who is making an attempt at garden domination.  It has grown really tall this year.
The clematis are now joining in.  Here is Venosa Violacea, twining around rose Ferdinand Pichard.
This is the lovely flower.
Clematis Frankie.  I bought this as a young plant and then planted it out. However, on the TV,  a clematis grower said you should pot them on and leave them for a year to develop a bigger root system.  I dug it up and potted it into a bigger pot and it has rewarded me by flowering again.
This is clematis Prince Charles, putting on a lovely show.
Here is Princess Kate who was potted on into a large tub and has rewarded me by being incredibly floriferous this year.
I couldn't resist a photo of this self seeded foxglove which planted itself in a pot by the shed.
The hydrangeas are also starting to flower.  Here is Endless Summer, the Bride (I think).
A mix of rose Jacques Cartier, a foxglove, and clematis Arabella.
This hydrangea is at the front of the house, in a large tub.  It provides a much needed splash of colour there.
Here is the flower - this is Endless Summer (Pink), I think.
The final flower (for now!) is Clematis Blue Angel.  I potted this one into a large tub this Spring and it obviously likes it!
The exotic-looking visitor is the vapourer moth caterpillar. It was busily munching away on a rose leaf, when I spotted it.  I brought it inside for identification.
It is quite an amazing looking creature with the long tail and antennae hairs.
I haven't seen one before, but apparently they are reasonably common. I put it back on the rose, but woe betide it if it tries to eat too much!

8 comments:

  1. I can't say I like the idea of any thing munching on your roses but that caterpillar is quite unusual. It must be a delight to walk around your garden daily and spot the new blooms,the changes and the coming and goings of garden inhabitants. There is always something happening in a garden; A garden is very much a living thing. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I was a little perturbed about the caterpillar, but on the whole, I decided to live and let live. I hope it won't do too much damage. I do love my little wander round the garden especially when so much is happening out there. I am very grateful to have my garden - it helps to keep me sane!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. You pack a lot of beauty into your garden. I would love to wander through it with you.
    And thank you for putting the caterpillar back - albeit with a stern warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. You would have to sidle down the path as there certainly is a lot packed in. Extreme care is needed to avoid falling over something! (Chris is often to be heard complaining about the lack of space!)
      I haven't ever seen a caterpillar like that one and as long as he/she doesn't decimate the whole rose bush, I am happy to share it with him/her. I shall be checking though...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Your roses are gorgeous, Ellie, and I don't see one eaten or diseased leaf! I'd love to know your secret. Mine are terrible. :-( ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. My roses do suffer from rust, powdery mildew and blackspot too. I try to choose roses which are described as 'healthy', such as Olivia Rose Austin or Susan Williams-Ellis. If a rose really isn't happy, I do remove it. They are quite hungry and thirsty plants, so I feed them in Spring and I have just given them a liquid feed. The roses in the borders sometimes get a mulch, when I remember. That's about it - no secrets really.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Great post Ellie! So many beautiful roses and clematis. Rosa William Shakespear beast is a corker. What a funny little munching fella. Don't think I've ever seen one like that. That reminds me, I did see a moth that looked just like a twig t'other day :0 I just ran a search for it - Buff Tip Moth. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. That was a new caterpillar to me too and I haven't spotted it since U put it back - it's probably hiding from the thunderstorms! William Shakespeare has taken a year or two to settle in (most new roses take that long, I find) but he is really growing now! The internet is a good place for identifying plants/creatures etc, isn't it?
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete