Tuesday 14 December 2021

Wanderlust 2021 - weeks forty-five to fifty - Fables and Round up

 Wanderlust 2021, the mixed media art journal course, has come to an end. I have really enjoyed it and have learnt a lot.  It has been a challenge, but one that I have thrown myself into and done the best I could. I now have a lovely full journal to look back on.  I have signed up to Wanderlust 2022, so my journey will continue.

The final theme was fables, where animals illustrate a moral or a story. This page illustrates my own artistic journey, anticlockwise, from the top left:  a little kitten failing my A levels, retaking them and passing at evening classes, then twenty years later, going to do a Foundation in Art and Design course (with a photos of my felt behind the owl) and finally the tiger, more confident and ready for challenges.
The next week was about choosing an animal to illustrate and I chose a hare.  I have improved in my watercolouring and remembered the tips I had picked up from a previous watercolour class - leave white space, start with mid tones and don't be afraid of dark shadows.  Also, 'don't colour it all in, it's not a colouring book!'  I was really pleased with the end result.
The next fable theme was about creating a character (the example was a wolf in sheep's clothing)and using a phrase.  I chose the golden goose which is about being thankful for what you have.  While creating this page, I thought about the last line in the film 'Now, Voyager' so used that as my quote. "...Don't let's ask for the moon, we have the stars".
Week forty-eight was illustrating a fable which the teacher had created about an antelope called Tall Boy. He has managed to evade the hunters so far.  
Week forty-nine was a word for next year. I loved creating this collage and went for rich, luscious colours.  As you can see, I am hoping to continue to grow, in confidence, in my skills and in my knowledge.
Week fifty was a round up and creating the journal covers.  As I had deconstructed my journal, due to the spine binding breaking, I have four covers to make.   
These were collaged bits and pieces, including lace and die cuts, words and marks.  The little cover has the phrase 'a library full of treasures', which I thought was very appropriate.
On to Wanderlust 2022!

14 comments:

  1. These are just so gorgeous, I really must have a go one day, I have enough bits and pieces to be able to do it but until this blanket if finished I feel I must hold off. I like the Hare and the Black lady best.
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Briony. I have loved this course and it was good for me to have that weekly prompt. Collaging is certainly one of my favourite techniques.
      I hope you enjoy your projects when you get started on them.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. WOW.
    Grow is a wonderful word for the year - and perfectly depicts what this challenge has brought you.
    I look forward to following your journey next year. And the year after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Yes, the journey continues...and I am excited about that!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. From kitten to tigress Ellie!!! You have been super busy. Absolutely love your antelope and lady 'grow' (I want flower hair like that please!). Collaging is wonderfully playful. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. Wouldn't flower hair be lovely? I foresee more collaging happening over the next year (it is one of my favourite techniques).
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Congrats on finishing your challenge. I LOVE the Grow one. All are nice, but that one really speaks to me.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. It has been a very enjoyable course and I have learned so much. I like the Grow page too - it is a lovely positive one to end with. I had a lot of fun putting that one together.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Rajani. I am glad you enjoyed it.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. I do like how you have employed well chosen symbolic images to produce impact (the tiger for example) and so relate your artistic journey. It all seems to me to be a more poetic way to convey how you feel to your audience. Well done for completing the course. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. It has been a great course and for that particular week, the images jumped straight into my head. I am slowly working through the preliminary lessons before next year's course starts.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  7. I am just catching up on some blog reading after a long break. I remember reading about you signing up for this art course last year and here I am reading about your last few weeks. I hope I am around more to read about it next year, loved reading this post and about some of the things that you have created it all looks wonderful and so creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I have really enjoyed the course. There have been lots of challenges and some lessons I thought I couldn't do at all, but I completed every one and learnt a lot in the process. My watercolouring in particular has improved a lot, as has my confidence in using it.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete