Friday 24 December 2021

Merry Christmas

A watercolour I did as part of a Care December daily journalling course

As has become my Christmas tradition, I quote from one of my favourite Christmas carols, "It came upon the midnight clear", written by Edmund Sears in 1849.

"Yet with the woes of sin and strife
The world has suffered long
Beneath the angel-strain has rolled
Two thousand years of wrong;
And man, at war with man, hears not 
The love song which they bring;
O hush the noise, ye men of strife,
And hear the angels sing."

To end on a positive, I again quote from Desiderata (a 1927 prose poem by Max Ehrmann):

"...And whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.  With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.  Be cheerful, Strive to be happy."

To all my readers and commenters who celebrate, may you have a happy festive season.

12 comments:

  1. And to you and yours.
    And thank you for showing us your very, very beautiful robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. My watercolouring is really improving - I was very pleased with this little chap. More practising over the next year too...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas to you too, Ellie.... have a wonderful holiday. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful little feathered fella Ellie! Lovely carol words and poem too. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. Have a lovely festive season too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. I love your Robin her is fabulous. I hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I was so pleased with the little robin and hope to keep improving my watercolouring over the next year too. Our Christmas Day was quiet but relaxed and we have continued that today also.
      I hope your celebrations went well too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Oh! Robin... I so miss seeing you here. Gorgeous watercolour! Sending you lots of magical Christmas cheer along the coast and across the channel and all the best for the New Year. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I am pleased that my watercolours are improving and was pleased with how the robin turned out. Sending you the Christmas and New Year cheer too!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. That's such a lovely little watercolour. I hope you had a very happy and peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It was quiet and relaxing here - just what was needed! I hope your celebrations were what you wanted too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete