Friday 21 January 2022

Hello new plant!

 Some of my lovely readers were interested to find out the identity  of the new plant that I needed to buy.  I can now reveal that it is a Camellia x vernalis Yuletide, which I saw on a blog I follow.  It has such a lovely pop of colour that is much needed at this time of year.

I bought it from Carbeth plants via Amazon and it arrived very quickly and was a lovely strong plant, with lots of buds and several flowers. I was really pleased with my purchase.  I have five camellias, (Yoimachi, St Ewe,  Cupido and two unnamed varieties, all in pots) but I thought I could just about squeeze another one in...
It has bright red flowers with golden stamens so has a very regal look.
Potentially it can grow to 2.5 metres, but as it will be in a pot, it won't get that big.  It's a shame because a full sized camellia is such a wonderful sight to see.  There are some stunning examples in Cornwall.

The only other large plant purchase I have in mind this year is a rose, Emily Bronte, but I was just thinking the other day that it would be nice to have a few more hellebores...

15 comments:

  1. Pretty, pretty, pretty!! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. my other camellias are all shades of pink, or pink and white, so this one is a lovely contrast. I hope it will do well for me.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. The flowers are beautiful. Sadly it is too cold for camelias here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. That is a shame. Mine have coped so far but I can insulate the pots if it is forecast to be really cold. They are all in sheltered parts of the garden too, which helps, I think.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. WHAT a beauty. And yes, I hear you on more roses. And hellebores. And begonias. And orchids. And, and, and...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC. Somehow, I doubt I'll be able to keep to just one more plant. If my trachelospermum hasn't survived (through getting too dry last summer) and at the moment, it is not looking good, then that will need replacing. Then, like this camellia, there are those plants which just call out to you too...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. It’s lovely! Good buy! I have resisted the urge to buy anymore plants for my balcony garden during December and throughout this month too. You know how it is December is an expensive month and The lack of cash overlaps into January too 😊. Still February is nearly here so I am going to have a browse on Amazon for these Camelias. I think they would do well in this climate. Keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. Camellias like some shade and acid soil, which is why mine are in pots. I am not sure whether it would be too hot where you are. However, I don't want to put you off, but I don't want you to buy something which might not be happy with your conditions.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the advice Ellie. I'll check that out before I buy them then. A x

      Delete
  5. Sooooooo pretty. Went on a walk a few days ago with a friend to a park that has dedicated areas for Camellias. Some were done blooming, some hadn't started, but there were some to enjoy. So many different colors and sizes. Quite pretty. Good luck with your planting. I envy you that you've got the right weather for them. I don't think they would grow at home, but there always nice to see here in SC when we visit.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. It is a really pretty plant and a nice contrast to those I already have. I hope it will like being here. I love to see a mature camellia which can grow to its natural height, but I don't have the space to let them do that here.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. Oooh hello Yuletide Camellia, aren't you a beauty! Please say hello to your owner for me, I am sure she'll take very good care of you. I hope you settle in and play nicely with the other plants (other potted camellias, roses, hellebores) in the garden :) xXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. She is definitely a beauty! I will do my best to look after her and keep her watered when she is developing her buds for the next year. She is still looking beautiful with several flowers out at the moment.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete