Sunday 9 January 2022

Stamp carving

I have always enjoyed lino print carving and have seen books and videos where people are carving their own stamps using pencil erasers.  I had a few old ones lying about, so decided to put them to good use.  The one I am showing here is double sided as it is quite thick.  Above is the stamp I carved from it together with a page in my Care December mini journal where I used it.  It wasn't designed as a repeating pattern necessarily, but I am really happy with how it turned out.
The other side of the stamp has a simple leaf pattern on it. I was inspired by a rubber stamp set I saw from Rubber Dance Stamps, who are based in Germany.  I have ordered some stamps from them before and they are good quality rubber stamps which stamp well. I carved my own leaf and then printed it with acrylic paint onto a book page, which I shall use for collage (just as Susanne (Susanne Rose Art) has done on her Youtube video here - she is the owner of Rubber Dance Stamps).

I would like to make more of these - they are really enjoyable to make and they are my creations, even if they are inspired by others.  I also have some lino and also some softer cutting material, so I could cut that up and make some more... 

16 comments:

  1. Very cool! Love the leaf print. Would like to have a dress with that pattern. I have a thing about trees.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I think I may well make more of these little stamps. They are easy to cut and so far, I am pleased with the end results.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. So simple really! I have never thought of using erasers to make a stamp. I expect though a sharp cutter would be necessary to do that. I have a cutter I wonder if I could cut my initials on one. I like the ones you have made , the small one reminds me of Mayan hieroglyphics . Keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I use a lino cutting tool which has a few different shaped blades. I mainly use a small thin v shaped one for finer lines and a larger v shape or u shape for taking out larger areas. Make sure you cut your initials backwards so that they print the right way round! (If you do make a mistake, it isn't the end of the world as you can try to make it into something else).
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I've seen this done by various folks in various ways, Ellie. I'm glad you tried it. You did a great job! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I really enjoyed lino printing when I did that, but it takes much longer. This is a quick little project and gives a good result.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
    2. "Quick little projects" are wonderful, aren't they. xoxo

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Andrea. Sometimes they are just what's needed!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. That looks amazing Ellie!!! It looks like really satisfying work too. Have you ever tried printing on fabric? I always have my eye on block print clothes, but they are quite scarce and usually expensive. Hmmm, now I'm wondering if it something I could attempt myself.... Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I have some Indian wooden carved stamps and I have printed them on bags, using a hybrid acrylic paint and/or fabric paint and then heat setting it on the back (if that is what the paint says to do). It worked really well. I have also done potato prints onto fabric too. You could try it on an old t-shirt first before launching onto anything more expensive. Definitely give it a go!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Oh I love these, how clever to use an old rubber. The leaf printing is gorgeous that would make lovely wrapping paper or a greetings card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. It was an idea I saw in a couple of stamping books and I knew I had some old erasers lying around! It's really quick to do as well. I think the leaf stamp will get used quite often!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. They look lovely, so creative. In fact you have reminded me of the prints we used to make as kids using cut potatoes, a great way to entertain Theo xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. Yes, they do look a bit like potato prints. The good thing is that the stamps they should last a bit longer than potatoes!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  7. Out blog walking so thought I'd pop in to say hi.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. Hi to you too. Hope your craft projects are still going well.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete