Saturday 1 January 2022

Happy New Year 2022

Jasminium Nudiflorum flowering in a photo I took this morning

Happy New Year!  Let us all hope that 2022 is a kinder year than the last two. As I usually do, I have aims during the year which I look back on at New Year. 

Read interesting books:  This has certainly continued and I have read lots of old favourites as well as some new ones.  Some which I particularly enjoyed were: Wintering by Katherine May, One Moment by Linda Green, The Beauty of Broken Things by Victoria Connelly, and The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep by H G Parry.  I also revisited my favourite Miss Marple stories and Jane Austen novels (of course!)

One of the pages from my Care December journal
Be Creative (using what I have):  this is also a big tick - my  mixed media art journalling course (Wanderlust 2021), the ICAD in June and July, making cards for all occasions, a swatch book, junk journal, Care December journal.  I have used lots of what I have but I have also purchased more things, so this is something I need to keep control of more effectively this year.  (However, if energy prices soar as they are predicted to do, I won't have much money to spend on my hobbies anyway!) I have sewing projects which I would like to complete too, so they are also on the 'to do' list.  My new Wanderlust 2022 course starts next week, so I am looking forward to that.

Get rid of (or donate) things I no longer want or need: I have talked about this for a long time without really addressing it.  Having watched several TV programmes about sorting your life out, I have finally realised that this won't happen magically and that I need to get stuck in and make those decisions myself.  I made a start before Christmas by donating some of my books but this needs to continue.  Once the books are done, there are many, many more possessions which need to be assessed.  However, I feel encouraged that I have finally made a  proper start.

Another Care December journal page

Take more notice of nature: Being at home more has made me appreciate my little garden so much. I am grateful for this space outside and I need to rearrange some pots of hydrangeas which have outgrown their space.  I may have one more rose in mind ('Emily Bronte') but no more large things.  I am planning to grow verbena bonariensis in pots and some cerinthe.  I need to do some re-potting and dividing, so have lots to keep me busy. Oh, and the compost bin wants turning too.  However, amongst all this, I plan to look more, to sit and appreciate more.

I need to remember to be present in the moment and crafting and gardening do help with that.   Also, I need to be grateful for what I have.  Good things to remember in the coming year.  

8 comments:

  1. A very, very Happy (and productive) New Year to you, your family and all of your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I would like to say the same back to you.
      Here's hoping 2022 will be a bit kinder to us all than the last couple of years have been.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely post Ellie. It is hard to remember what it is we intended to do when we are in the busyness of life. I hear you on the needing to get on with things and not knowing where to start. Breaking it down in to lots of small jobs sounds like the perfect way to tackle you de-cluttering, it is easy to get overwhelmed by it all otherwise, isn't it.

    Happy New Year to you and yours x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. We are both collectors of stuff and that stuff has now got out of hand, hence the desperate need to get rid of things we don't want/use/need. It is overwhelming, I agree, but I am feeling encouraged that I have finally made a start. It will be a slow process i think, but I need to just keep it going...
      Happy New Year too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Happy new year dear Ellie :) Here's hoping 2022 will be a fun, creative one full of books, gardening, crafts and 'organised stuff'. I have a new thing that I only allow myself a charity shop trawl if I sort out a bag to take first. That works ok, as long as I don't come back with more than a bag :0 ;) Also, we have a box room full of art supplies acquired over the years. I have pledged to use these materials up first (although I did take my eldest daughter to Hobbycraft for the first time last week.... her mind was blown!!!!! I was VERY reserved not to buy anything myself!). I greatly look forward to seeing your 2022 crafting projects. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. Happy New Year to you too. Books, gardening, crafts and organised stuff sounds like the perfect aim for me this year. I have many craft materials too - if you try something new, you need to stuff that goes with it! However, I am determined to continue to assess what I have and let it go if I don't need/use/want it. Then it will need to be 'one in, one out' to stop the situation recurring. Wish me luck!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Wonderful goals. Good start with the books. There are so many places to donate books, is that what you're doing? The cleaning out things you don't use is something I need to address as well. Happy New Year, let's hope we all have a better year.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. Yes, I am donating the books to our local charity bookshop. I am sure they will find good homes with people who love books! I think this will be something that will take me at least all this year to get to grips with.
      Happy New Year to you too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete