Monday 21 February 2022

Lincoln Cathedral part one - the Moon, Duncan, the Imp, Katherine, Eyes and Dragons

We visited Lincoln Cathedral last week, partly to see the Moon exhibition in situ and partly because Chris had been on a 'Graffiti tour' previously and wanted to show me what they had found.  It was half term, so it was very busy with lots of families looking round.  Good for the Cathedral funds but not so good if you wanted a peaceful experience!  
I last saw the Moon exhibition at the Collection in Lincoln (in 2019 - see the post here) and it was a little cramped, although you were much closer to it.  I think it looks more impressive in a larger space like this.
It really was quite a presence.

I'm pleased I saw it here.  

We had a good look round the Cathedral, mainly for graffiti (more on that in part two), but I also stopped off to revisit some of my favourite areas, such as the chapel painted by Duncan Grant.
I like the bright colours he used.
I also liked these carvings, which were quite high up and easy to miss.
I had to say hello to the Lincoln Imp.
Here's a close up of him.
I also stopped off at Katherine Swynford's tomb.  
I have read the novel, Katherine by Anya Seton and the biography of her, Katherine Swynford: John of Gaunt and his scandalous Duchess by Alison Weir.  She lived opposite the cathedral at one stage.
The sun came out briefly and I captured the colours of the stained glass on the pillar.
The Bishop's Eye window... 
...and the Dean's Eye window.  The glass is from the 13th century.
I liked these dragon-type creatures on the font. This is a rare Tournai font, made of blue-black limestone during the 12th and early 13th centuries in and around the Belgian town of Tournai (thank you to wikipedia for that information).
There is more to come about the Cathedral in my next post.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Moon pictures. Is the scaffolding still up on the outside of the Cathedra? It rather spoils photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meanqueen. Yes, there is still scaffolding around the Cathedral. It is a necessary evil due to the constant conservation of the stonework, but it does detract from the beauty of the building.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Now that does bring back some very pleasant memories as I remember visiting Lincoln and the cathedral with my sister when she lived in that area. That cathedral and the city so brings to life what I have read about the Plantagenets. Fascinating photographs and that Moon exhibition looks really something too. Keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. It is an amazing building with so much of interest. I believe the Moon exhibition has been really popular and visitor numbers have gone up.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Wow that Moon is amazing. I had heard about it as an installation. It is permanently at Lincoln Cathedral do you know? I would love to see it but it is a very long way to Lincoln for us. I had no idea that Katherine Swynford was buried in Lincoln. The book by Anya Seton is one of my all time favourite reads, I absolutely loved it when I first read it as a teenager, it is one of the few books I have read more than once, and I might just have to read it again now that I have been reminded of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. No, the 'Museum of the Moon' travels around. I believe it is going to Rotherham in March, if that is any closer. The website address for the tour is here: https://my-moon.org/tour-dates/.
      Katherine Swynford lived in Lincoln, at the Priory, which is opposite the Cathedral, so it seems fitting that she is buried there.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Such an impressive and interesting place to visit, Ellie. Lucky you.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amalia. I think we take it for granted because it is on our doorstep. It is a beautiful and fascinating place.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Amazing moon and stained glass window Ellie! Hello to the cheeky imp also :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I was so pleased to see the Moon again in a much bigger space, where it looked much more impressive. I always say hello to the imp whenever I visit the Cathedral!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete