Saturday 26 November 2022

The garden at the end of November

The garden is starting to settle down after the unusual heat of the last summer and then the copious amounts of rain over the last month or so.  The Fatsia japonica is in flower again - seemingly too late for insects and probably going to be frosted soon too.
Camellia SasanquaYoimachi is in flower too. It is supposed to flower from now onwards, but last year it didn't flower until Spring.  It has such delicate colours in the flowers and provides a splash of brightness at the rather dark bottom of the garden.
The buds are beautiful too.
Salvia microphylla Cerro Potosi has been an absolute star this year, with its small bright fuchsia flowers. It started to flower in July and has continued until now.  I have two plants in pots and they are a little straggly, but I don't mind that when they are such good flowerers.  I am debating whether I can squeeze one into the border...  They are hardy down to about minus 10 degrees C, so I am hoping they will survive the winter.
It is always nice to welcome a drop of sunshine into the garden at the approaching darkest time of year, in the form of winter flowering jasmine, Jasminum nudiflorum.  Another straggly looking shrub in habit but I love it nonetheless.  (Note to self - if I occasionally pruned it, it might look less straggly!)  

Bulbs are starting to be seen and the winter flowering honeysuckle is already putting out buds, which is a little unusual, but I think that is down to the weather patterns this year.

8 comments:

  1. It's so strange in the garden right now: the black eyed susans, geraniums and roses are still flourishing. My sunflowers finally gave up the ghost but more due to the damp than the cold. On the plus side, that means I'm still not too late with my bulbs, despite it being nearly December!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and welcome, Tonia (I think this is the first time you've commented). It's good that you still have colour to enjoy, It is a bit of an in-between time in the garden - things dying down but a bit early for winter things to be that visible. Bulbs can still be planted in December without any problems, particularly tulips. If I remember rightly, Monty Don planted tulips in January and they still flowered in that April.
    Happy planting!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The garden blooms (or doesn't) to its own agenda doesn't it? We have had a strange Spring. Some anemones are still thinking about flowering while others have been and gone months ago.
    I always love looking at your garden and NEED to get back into mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Nature certainly does have its own schedule and this year in the UK has thrown everything out a bit. Our Springs seem to be turning colder while our Winters are turning wetter but slightly milder. I have lots of jobs to do in the garden - insulating my pots being the most time consuming. We are having work done on our roof soon so lots of things have had to be moved in readiness for the scaffolding. Once it is done, I can have a bit of a rearrange (and a potting on session). I am looking forward to that in a way.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Wow you have so much gorgeous colour in your garden, mine has all gone now as we have had many heavy frosts. I really must get my spring bulbs in before it is too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, sustainablemum. The salvia has finished flowering now, but has been great. Plants that flower from now until February are very precious and I do treasure them. I think tulips can be planted up until January and will still flower when they should.
      Best wishes and happy planting!
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Can't believe you still have pretty color at the end of November. Everything has been long dead here. Wonderful pictures. Enjoy those flowers as long as you can.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. We have been lucky with such a mild autumn. However, we are due some colder temperatures from now on, so things won't be looking quite so good!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete