Thursday 3 November 2022

Wanderlust 2022 - weeks thirty-six to forty-two - Inks

I thoroughly enjoyed exploring Inks in Wanderlust.  We began with Distress inks, making a background and then using tea bags and photos to create linked images, showing elements of our personalities.  I chose to put a photo of my Granny and my Mum in the teabags and a stamped image of a woman to represent me - Granny gave me a love of nature and gardening and Mum gave me a love of music.  
We used acrylic inks for our next piece. We made lots of patterns using inks and blowing through straws. we then tried to bring out something we could see in the pattern.  I eventually decided I could see part of a face, so brought it out using watercolour pencils.  I think it is quite enigmatic!
Acrylic ink painted onto feathers was our next lesson.  I made envelopes and placed some family photos in them - my Mum and Dad on the left and my Granny and her family on the right with a small photo of Dad as a little boy in the middle. I have used these before, but they are great photos.
Another inky background.  This page took a totally different turn from how I thought it would be.  It ended up being a memory of Scruffy, our cat who we lost at the end of August.   I painted Scruffy in acrylic ink using a photo for reference.  The autumnal colours and leaves just seemed to work with the theme.  The two ghostly cats in the corner represent the other two who are buried in the garden, Gonga and Ginny.    
This was about using loose brush strokes, holding the brush right at the end and Acrylic ink. It is vaguely based on a self portrait but doesn't really look like me, although that wasn't the idea anyway.  Not one of my favourites, but an interesting process - letting go of perfectionism!
Much more to my liking was this layered page, using spray inks, stamps, stencils and a magazine focal image.  I like the feeling of movement with the leaves and the woman's hair. This also included a useful lesson on colour theory, so that we wouldn't make 'muddy' colours (unless we wanted to use neutrals, of course).
The last in the inks section was using alcohol inks and stencils.  I used Yupo paper (synthetic paper which doesn't absorb the ink) for the image on the left and glossy card for the one on the right.  I wasn't happy with the tissue paper image on the right as the tissue paper didn't fade into the image as it should have done. Possibly this was to do with the alcohol background.  So, I had another go... 
I kept the original which is now hidden under the flap on the right. This time I used alcohol inks and stencils on my gel plate.  I think this worked much better and the tissue paper faded as it should do.
The last theme for this year is Paper and Fabrics, which should be good.

12 comments:

  1. These are such emotive and meaningful creations. Thank you (so much) for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Sometimes the lessons are more personal and meaningful and at other times they are more technique based. I enjoy the mix. It's lovely to include family photos too and mixed media works really well for that.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Wow, these are fabulous Ellie, I love them. They are so evocative and deeply personal, thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I have enjoyed being able to add family photos and other personal memories to my pages. Mixed media is a great vehicle for that.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Amazing, you certainly have to think outside the box xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. The tutors on the course do provide a video and a handout for each lesson, so we are guided through it. However, it's up to you whether you follow their ideas or go off on your own. I love seeing all the different styles and techniques and then trying them out myself!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Sooooooo much creativity. I especially like your 3rd piece. I do genealogy and that would be perfect for the cover of a family file.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. Yes, that would work beautifully for a family file. I have used my family photos quite a lot in my journal pages over the last two years. It is good to be able to use them like this as it makes me remember to actually look at them!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. As always, I'm so impressed with your talent, Ellie! These are amazing.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Amalia. It's great to be able to watch someone create an image and then go off and make your own version. I have learned so many techniques and a lot more about the media I use (and it's fun!).
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. Wow, you have been busy Ellie! Music, gardening and nature loving... precious gifts to hand down xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. Apart from the vaguely self portrait, I loved the learning about different inks. Both Granny and Mum gave me a love of nature, gardening and music and I am grateful.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete