Tuesday 20 December 2022

Wanderlust 2022 - weeks forty-three to fifty - Papers and Fabrics

Wanderlust 2022 has finished and I really enjoyed the final theme of Papers and Fabrics.  Week forty-three was about exploring different papers and substrates and then make a patchwork page, joining the pieces together with sewing.  I used walnut ink and paints, archival ink, stamping, stencilling, mark making and texture paste and I loved every minute.  I love the end result too, which is always a bonus.
Eco dyeing was the next focus and I used blueberries and coffee (not together).  The blueberry dye was a lovely purple, but when I added bicarbonate of soda, it turned a teal blue, which was unexpected but lovely.
Week forty-five was using Tyvek paper, which is a plastic paper which melts when you apply heat and can also create bubbly effects, which is what we were aiming for. I did melt a hole initially but tried again and got the bubbly texture.  This was used to make a Humanimal - a mix of human and animal. 
Week forty-six was time consuming but enjoyable and quite meditative.  After creating our own stencilled papers, we then had to tear them into small pieces to make a collage.  Adding stencilling over a block colour background helped to show the collage off.
Portraits in charcoal, ink and stitching was week forty-seven's task.  My portraits are improving and I found I enjoyed using the charcoal with water to create some shadows.  Continuous line portraits were also included and we then collaged together some of the different images we created.
Week forty-eight was a layered piece and I used a favourite illustration from The Secret Garden as my focal point, which also dictated the muted colour scheme.  This was a really enjoyable piece to create.
The final week of the theme was more collage but also including stitching into images for added texture.  Another very enjoyable piece to create, with similar muted watercolours to the previous week.  The squirrel was sent to Chris in happy mail and worked so well as a counterpoint to the bird.
The final lesson was about binding pages into a journal and decorating the cover.  
My journal was held together with binder rings, so all I needed to do was to decorate the cover and I chose to collage lots of bits that had been left over from weekly projects throughout the year.  
So now its the end of this year's course, what have I learnt?  
  • I am now likely to say 'I'll try that' rather than 'I can't do that'.  
  • My portraits have really improved and using a tracing to get the correct proportions is a good thing to start with.
  • I really enjoy using watercolours.
  • Serendipity often adds something special to a page.
I am looking forward to starting the new course in January 2023. The first theme is pastels - not one of my favourite supplies - but I am looking forward to learning and experimenting more with them.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, wow and wow. I have so enjoyed seeing your creations during the year - and probably need (definitely need) to take on board your first learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It has taken me some time to get to this point - trying things rather than not attempting them. The two courses over the last two years have taught me so much and my artwork has definitely improved through practise. Here's to next year's course and I am more than happy to keep sharing my journey!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Some unusual techniques. It's fun to try new things, especially when you're not sure how they're going to turn out only to have a lovely surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It is fun to try new things, I agree. This course has certainly offered challenges which have taken me out of my comfort zone, but I have learnt a lot.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Lovely pieces and how great to do a course that ends with you thinking "I'll try that".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tonia. The course is a great one for giving things a try and the emphasis is always on enjoying the process, rather than the end result. I have done this course for two years and have signed up for next year too, so my journey continues.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to continue in your journey using these techniques. You have made some lovely pieces through out the year, look forward to seeing more next year. Merry Christmas to you and your family xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. It has been a lovely creative journey and one that will continue in 2023.
      Marry Christmas to you and yours also.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
    2. That should have been 'Merry'!

      Delete
  5. As always Ellie I am always in awe of what you share with us on here. I love hearing about your process. I too love that you have ended this course thinking I will try. I hope that 2023 is a good course for you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. It has taken a long time for me to have the confidence in my abilities to say 'I'll try'. I enjoy some things more than others, but I learn as I go and the important thing is to enjoy the process, which I do. If the last two years are anything to go by, 2023's course will be good. There are lots of introductory videos to watch already, so that's my job before we start in January.
      Best wishes and Happy Christmas
      Ellie

      Delete