Sunday 11 December 2022

Winter frosts

Having been thoroughly spoiled by having such a lovely mild Autumn, the sudden return to more season appropriate weather has caught us by surprise.  While it isn't that cold in the UK compared to other countries (such as Canada), it certainly feels cold to me.  We have had our first frosts of the winter and the cold weather looks set to continue for the next week.  Above are a salvia and a palm.
I was slow with my pot insulating this year, lulled into a false sense of security.  Last week saw some frantic activity to get the most sensitive plants protected.  Above is a rose bush.
Another rose bush, this time in the border.  The frost does make everything look that little bit more magical.
Another rose bush.
We have been having some work done on our roof and guttering - "Who told you about guttering?"(for my friend Rachael and any other Victoria Wood fans out there) and I have had to move the plants that are usually by the back door onto the patio.  They are not sheltered so much there and I am not sure some of them will come out of the temporary move unscathed. Above is Magnolia Fairy Blush, one of those plants.  I hope they will all be OK until they can be moved back...

10 comments:

  1. Those frost etchings are beautiful but yes, a killer for some plants. I do hope the plants you have had to move for the workmen survive, and that the work is done fast and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It was really stunning out there this morning, with frost over everything. I am trying to be fatalistic - if things don't survive, it will give me new opportunities...
      So far, the work has been done quickly and well, so that's good. We now have a waterproof roof again!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. The plants take on a new stance with the frost on them. Very pretty, lets hope your more tender plants survive. xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. I hope the plants will survive too. I shall have to wait and see.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I'm really not a fan of the cold weather but I have to admit that the frost makes everything look magical. I hope your plants survive the move, some can be so temperamental and like to stay in one position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I like it when it's a sunny day with a blue sky and cold. Less so when it's dull and grey and miserable. I am hoping the plants will be OK, but I am fatalistic about it too - if they don't, they don't. (More planting opportunities in that case!)
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. It is has been a very cold few days hasn't it. I do hope your plants survive the cold spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. Yes, it has been pretty cold for us. I am keeping my fingers crossed about the plants!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Beautiful frosty foliage. Hope the guttering goes well ( we had to get one side of the house done last year - the whole lot spectacularly collapsed in heavy rain!) & the plants recover. Very windy &, dare I say it - dry here today in Cornwall x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. So far, the guttering is doing well and it has had a real test today with fairly heavy rain for most of the day. I think my plants look OK on the whole, although the osteospermum and erigeron aren't looking that happy.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete