Thursday 19 January 2023

Artful August Challenge...in January! Week One

I am busy with a new daily journal challenge called Artful August.   I found this through a flip through on Youtube, but it is hosted on Instagram, I think.   I missed this in August as I don't 'do' Instagram, but when I came across it on Rachel Greig's Youtube I decided I would do it during January, when it seems a long month and the weather is a bit grey.  There are daily prompts and it is then up to you what you choose to do.  I made a little journal from packaging cardboard and binder rings.  I have stuck to my mixed media, and incorporating some things from my Wanderlust courses. Above is 'Garden'.
The next prompt was 'Shimmer'.  This page does shimmer as I used pearl paint and a bit of glitter on the main collage image, but the camera hasn't picked that up.
'Number' came next and I enjoyed the inks, texture paste, stamping and stencilling I used.
'Soft' had me scratching my head a bit but then I used some of my handmade felt and various trims, with a soft colour scheme too.
'Envelope' was fairly straightforward...
...and I added a little card inside...
...with a fabulous Jane Austen quote on the back.
This prompt was 'Linear' and I used a washi tape technique I had learnt in Care December.
'Bright' meant I could revisit another Wanderlust lesson (one of my favourites) and use stamping and stencilling with zingy colours.

I'll post the next seven shortly.
 

12 comments:

  1. That looks like a heap of fun - and an excellent antidote to the grey days of winter. I love that Austen quote - and totally agree. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I am really enjoying it and some of the prompts are making me think, so challenge is the right word! I love the quote too which is why it had to be included somewhere.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Wow, that will keep you busy, wonderful to explore different techniques and incorporate those you have used already. Certainly will banish any January blues xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. That was the plan, to keep creating despite the after-Christmas-and-New-Year feeling! I am enjoying all the different prompts and thinking about the different techniques.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful response to all the prompts. Well done Ellie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and welcome, grams ramblings. I do enjoy these challenges as they encourage me to use my stash and sometimes to do something different. There are more to come...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. August is January is very 'now' in this crazy world. Another amazing project, Ellie, I always admire your talent.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amalia. I am pleased I have this project to do now as in August, I am often out in the garden! It is keeping me very occupied and January seems to be going more quickly (even if it isn't really!)
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. I am just catching up on some blog reading and as always I love your posts like this. What a lovely idea to do a art challenge in January, a great antidote to this grey month. A lovely project Ellie and I love your home made journal what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I am really enjoying the art prompts and January does seem to have gone more quickly (it hasn't, but it feels as though it has!). I like making my own journals and as this one has cardboard packaging pages, it is pretty solid and can take whatever media I throw at it!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. An August challenge in January, why ever not Ellie!?! I wish they'd put the Sewing Bee on t'tele in winter for the same reason - winter months are perfect for crafting. Beautiful textures and colours in your work m' luverly :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. It is a fun challenge and luckily wasn't summer-related with the prompts. It has kept me very occupied through January too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete