Thursday 12 January 2023

The Garden - early January

I was having a wander in the garden, as I do most days, in between the showers and noticed that there is a lot to feel happy about.  Above is winter flowering honeysuckle, which has a lovely scent on a sunny day, but not so much on a day like today. 
In their temporary home, the hellebores are starting to flower.  Above is Hello Ruby...
...and Hello White Pearl, in full flower.  I think it is earlier to flower than last year, despite the December cold snap.
Here is Hellebore Ericsmithii Winter Sunshine in flower too with the faint pink on the creamy green petals.
Cyclamen coum are starting to show themselves...
as is this peony which I repotted in the Autumn.  I need to dig up the two in the borders and pot them up as they have not been happy for some time - too dry and overcrowded for them.  This is a job that I need to do soon.
Camassias starting to grow too. They have enjoyed all the rain we have had recently.
Camellia Yoimachi flowering well.
A burst of sunshine provided by winter flowering jasmine (Jasminum Nudiflorum).  I must remember to prune it after it has flowered otherwise it gets very straggly and unkempt. I was surprised and pleased at how much there is to see in a wet January.  I also have some snowdrops in flower but the photos were too blurry so I'll need to try again with them.

8 comments:

  1. Loving your garden. Isn't it wonderful that there is always something to see (and sadly usually something to do) in a garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I am always heartened to see flowering plants and shrubs during winter. I have quite a few jobs I need to do but I am also doing my best to notice things more.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Hello White Pearl! All are pretty and exciting to see things grow; but The White Pearl is gorgeous. No outside flowers for me at home for several more months; but since I'm out of town there are some colorful flowers here to enjoy. Flowers make me smile.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. Flowers make me smile too. We are having another cold snap here and I hope my potted hellebores will be OK. I need to check on them tomorrow morning. They are pretty tough plants, so I am keeping my fingers crossed! Hello White Pearl was a bargain and has been really good so far.

      Delete
  3. Your garden, planned for interest no matter the weather is lovely. My Gerberas have lasted and are still flowering, lovely to see colour. The almond blossom is coming out now too xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. I so enjoy seeing the different plants coming back each year. it's not looking quite so good out there now after a week of frosty weather, but I hope the hellebores in particular will recover with the rising temperatures next week. It is lovely to see colour at any time of year, isn't it?
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I was a bit concerned about them as they are in pots and we have had that cold snap, but so far, they appear to have bounced back! Yay!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete