Tuesday 3 January 2023

Happy New Year 2023

Photo from the TV of The Queen Elizabeth Clock Tower (Big Ben) on New Year's Eve/New Year's Day
Here we are in 2023.  2022 seemed to go particularly quickly, but that is perhaps because I am getting older!  As I have been doing for the last few years, I will reflect on last year and write my aims for this year.

A page from my Care December journal
Read interesting books - a big tick for this aim. Although the number of books read in 2022 went down to 54, there was an eclectic selection, including Circe by Madeline Miller; Anne Bronte re-imagined by Adele Hay; At home with William and Jane Morris by Suzanne Fagence Cooper; Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsley and  Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus as well as several rereads of Jane Austen books, a few murder mysteries and some series continuations.  I am already off to a good start this year, with Dame Sue Black's Written in Bone, which is just as fascinating as her previous book, All That Remains.  (I thoroughly enjoyed her Christmas lectures for the Royal Institution  series on BBC4 and available on iplayer, should you be able to access them.  She is an extremely knowledgeable and experienced forensic anthropologist and has a huge passion and enthusiasm for her subject.)  There is no doubt that I shall continue this aim.
A page from my Care December journal
Be Creative (using what I have) - a tick for this one too, although I have added to my stash of crafting supplies.  I am trying to stick to one in, one out, but there are so many lovely products out there, I do succumb.  I have been able to use a lot of what I have over the year in my Wanderlust course and in other challenges, such as the Index Card a Day challenge,  #Printinktober and Care December.  Currently I am working on a challenge for January which was originally for August, but I decided to do it now, as I find January can be a long and somewhat depressing month.  I am continuing with Wanderlust 2023 and will no doubt be making cards and making some more dresses as well as taking part in the annual challenges this year.  
Another page from my Care December journal - my portraits continue to improve, I think
Get rid of or donate things I no longer want or need - while I did start in earnest and donated many books to the charity bookshop, this rather ground to a halt, so this will certainly be a continuing aim for this year. I really must make a proper effort and keep going through the year.
Another page in my Care December journal - colours I may focus on in 2023
Take more notice of Nature - another tick and another aim to continue this year.  Being a gardener, I do take notice of the seasons and my time in the garden increases after Winter.  I still have a wander round the garden in the Winter and admire the effects of the weather and the stoicism of plants which flower at that time.  Being in the garden or out in the wider natural environment is increasingly important and does give me that mindfulness which I also get when I am crafting.  I am getting better at just sitting in the garden and not rushing to do something all the time and find that just a few minutes of quiet sitting or wandering and observing will give me a boost.  
So there are my aims again this year.  Some will be easier to achieve than others, but I will do my best.
Here's hoping 2023 is a kinder year to us all.

5 comments:

  1. You are right. 2022, just whizzed past didn't it? I like your aims. I will continue reading and enjoying nature. I suspect I will stay appreciating rather than creating though.
    And yes, I need to move rather a lot of things out of our home. Books included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I hope that I can do better with the aim of donating things this year as I have far too much stuff. The other aims are much more enjoyable...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Hello Ellie, a belated happy new year to you. May 2023 be full of books, creativity & nature! My goals (not resolutions) ... learn to make the world's best sticky ginger cake, and then eat said ginger cake ;) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. Happy New Year to you and your family too. I think my 2023 will be exactly that...books, creativity and nature...and that makes me happy.
      If you don't have a recipe for ginger cake, I have a couple which you can try - both easy and one vegan and both delicious! I also have one for Yorkshire Parkin Sponge which isn't sticky but which is yummy, with ginger and spices in it. it works well with custard too. Let me know if you'd like me to send them along.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
    2. Ooh yes please to the recipes Ellie, my email - longmizzle (at) gmail.com xXx

      Delete