Sunday 14 January 2024

First cards of 2024 and first plants in flower

I have started making cards for 2024 and these are first ones.  Some simple stamped thank you cards - I really like the sketchy style of these floral stamps.
This was a birthday card for a friend who likes pink.  I used die cut flowers in the background which was an idea I saw last week during a Sizzix die release by Tim Holtz. If you would like to know more, it is all available on his blog here. He shows fantastic ideas by his very talented makers team, so I always try to watch the releases and lives if I can.
In the garden this Rhodanthemum Casablanca has surprised me by flowering throughout December and now into January.  I have lost two of these plants before, so am doubly surprised by this one.
This snowdrop is the one nearest to being fully open.  It is in a pot and is Galanthus Elwesii.. The ones in the border are nearly there and will no doubt feature in a week or two.   
Here is Hellebore Ericsmithii Winter Sunshine, braving our colder temperatures.  We are due more frosts next week, so I shall be checking on the garden as the week progresses.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards Ellie :) Gorgeous to see the first snowdrop. Wow, the Rhodanthemum is really putting on a show. It obviously does not mind the cold at all - unlike me - refusing to go outdoors and snuggled up with crocheted granny blanket! xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I look forward to seeing the snowdrops. The Rhodanthemum is doing so well at the moment. It is in a pot and I have wrapped it in bubble wrap, so I am hoping that will keep it happy.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I don't know whether I like your cards or your brave bloomers more. All are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It is always lovely to see the first flowers which are ignoring the cold (at the moment!). I think we're only due to get down to minus 2 degrees centigrade in the next week, so hopefully they will all manage.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Beautiful cards, as always. I haven't seen any snowdrops in flower yet this year, I shall be looking out for them. Lovely to see flowers in bloom in January. I've failed miserably in my attempt to get some winter flowering plants, it all looks rather bleak out there so I must do better when I make my plant purchases this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I find hellebores to be good, both in pots and in the borders. They are starting to come into flower from January and last a long time. My Ericsmithii one, Winter Sunshine, seems to be particularly floriferous.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Love the cards and I'm very envious of your snowdrop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. The cold may have temporarily put a stop to the snowdrop's progress, but once temperatures improve, no doubt it will be fully open.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete