Tuesday 30 January 2024

Welcome Hellebores

I love seeing the hellebores starting to flower. While Winter is not over, they are always a promise of Spring.  These are all grown in pots and are ahead of the hellebores in the border.  Above is the rich plum/pink of Hello Ruby.
The deep colour of the petals contrasts beautifully with the green/lemon stamens.
Hellebore Eric Smithii Winter Sunshine is proving itself to be a reliable and floriferous addition to the garden. 
The pink buds open to a white/pink flower, with a touch of green.
This is Hello White Pearl which is again a reliable performer. The pink speckling is so pretty - it almost looks like a lily flower.
There are more flowers to come.
Hellebore Princess Victoria is on the way - her flowers are a deep purply/red.
This is Hellebore Harvington Pink.  It is a really pretty pink but has seemed a little shy, not flowering last year.  There are three flowers on that stem, so I shall enjoy watching them grow.

My newly planted (in December) grape hyacinths are starting to grow too so I am watching them (with some excitement!).  They should have a pale blue flower.  I do like this time of year with the promise of lovely things to come.

7 comments:

  1. Such glorious colours. It is an exciting time of year isn't it? I noticed a few days ago that I have a couple of anemones and grape hyacinth poking out of the ground. WAY too early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It is indeed. I do feel that plants are getting confused and understandably so. We have had some colder weather but it is due to be unseasonably warm at the weekend. I may do some pruning and tidying in the garden...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. You have a beautiful collection of Hellebores there Ellie - such pretty colours. I love them - they are one of my favourites. x0x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. My love of hellebores is relatively recent but I would love a larger collection! I was outside pruning today and noticed that the ones in the border are starting to bud up, so that is encouraging. It's so nice to have a bit of colour at this rather grey time of year in the UK.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Hello Ellie, thanks for your comment on my blog re Hellebores. Yours are so beautiful, I love all the colours. You have tempted me to try again with them, this time in pots:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie. You are welcome - the ones I have are doing well in pots - they may need potting on, but that's not a problem. I hope you do try them in pots and see how they go. I am really enjoying seeing mine every year.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Oh my, just beautiful Ellie! xXX

    ReplyDelete