Tuesday 20 February 2024

Junk Journal January 2024

Last month I took part in Junk Journal January for the first time.  This is organised by Meg from megjournals on Youtube and there is a list of prompts and daily videos from different people showing what they have made. I decided that it would be a good thing to start using some of the paper, digikits, and ephemera I have been collecting and this seemed do-able. Below are some of my favourite pages.
This is 'throwback' so I went for a vintage feeling, making a pretend slide with insects on it.  I made my colleague a birthday card similar to this last year so used some of the digital images I had left over, together with stamps, a postage stamp and some digi labels. 
There was 'eclectic' which was a mix of gel prints, a digikit photo, a die cut flower which I watercoloured, a leaf and a flower I made from last year's art journal, and a label I had inked and stamped.  An eclectic mix indeed, but I like it!!
'Fabric' was a sort of patchwork of scraps with an inked and dried baby wipe used as the focal heart.  
'Ombre' was easy with a watercolour background but I didn't know what I wanted to put on top until I thought about slow drawing so I added these ginkgo leaves, which are so relaxing to draw as they are lots of repeated lines.
'Translucent' was inspired by a piece of gel printed paper. I echoed the brushstroke pattern on a piece of tracing paper to become the translucent element.
Here's what's underneath - music paper, book page, the gel print paper, labels and a digikit camellia.
Finally, here is 'reflect' which I took to be reflecting on the whole Junk Journal January experience.  This page has a piece of paper pad, labels, book pages, ivy from a napkin, a piece of packaging from some bulbs and a digikit photo.  

I made this little journal for the challenge and I really enjoyed filling the small pages. Junk Journal July is also a challenge, so I may join in with that too.

8 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the journal to keep the whole project together. So many different techniques, it's interesting to see the way each has turned out. I particularly like the ginkgo leaves, the look is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I am enjoying working smaller, whether in a journal or with the slow drawing. The ginkgo pattern is one of my favourites and it very relaxing to make. I am thinking that I may join in with Junk Journal July as well...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Love the faded vintage feel. How cute is that sepia teddy bear!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. Yes, the teddy bear image just seem to fit that page!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Beatutiful! I just love snowdrops x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I love snowdrops too - one of my favourite flowers. They look so delicate but can cope with whatever the weather throws at them and are so resilient.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. This is stunning, such a beautiful way to use mixed media. I absolutely love it Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Josie. It was a really enjoyable project to do and I felt good using up some of my vast collections of scraps/digikits/papers etc.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete