Saturday 20 April 2024

Count Arthur Strong - 'And It's Goodnight From Him!'

After a busy day at work, I was looking forward to seeing Count Arthur Strong.  We are big fans of his brand of silliness and it is a great antidote to the depressing elements of the world we are in.  We all need to laugh and Count Arthur enabled us to do just that. He is a bit of a 'marmite' character which people either love or hate, but he has had TV series as well as radio series so there is a lot to enjoy if it's your thing.
There is a good review of the show here which gives a flavour of what to expect. I was crying with laughter quite a lot.  Steve Delaney is a master of his art and this was a real tour de force.  One of my favourite bits was Count Arthur mangling 'back behind the butcher's block' in his own inimitable way.

If you like him, the dates and venues are above.  If you don't know what I am talking about, here's a taste of his comedy (talking to a life insurance salesman) on Youtube and here is one of the fan favourites from one of the TV series (Flying Lesson).

6 comments:

  1. We do indeed NEED silliness and fun. Crying with laughter is the very best kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It was a very funny evening. Walking back through town was quite an education too - lots of young people going from club to club and various stag and hen parties too. I could only think, "I'm glad I'm not young any more!" (sung by Maurice Chevalier in Gigi).
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I'm not familiar with Count Arthur Strong. My brain is telling me I've hear the name before but where from I've no idea. Glad you enjoyed the show, I find live comedy totally different from watching on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. He has had radio shows as well as three TV series. There are lots of clips about on Youtube, should you be interested. We really enjoyed the show, as did the rest of the audience, judging by the laughter.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I am not familiar with him either Ellie but I shall sit down later & watch the YouTube clip of him. Its good for us to get a laugh now & then - its good for our mental health I always think. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. Steve Delaney is very clever and Count Arthur is a wonderfully mad creation. You are so right - we do need a laugh, especially with the world in the state that it is in.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete