Thursday 20 June 2024

Rust dyeing

In readiness for the next Wanderlust lesson tomorrow, we have been asked to prepare some rust dyed papers.  I have seen this done by others, but have never tried it myself, so it gave me the opportunity to try it.  I used some book pages and other paper scraps, some with gesso, some not.  I sprayed the various metal bits and pieces with white vinegar, covered them and left them, making sure to check them after a few hours.  If they looked dry, I gave them another spray.

The next morning, the papers were dry, so I took the metal bits off and was pleased with the results.
I have some interesting patterns left by the rust and it worked on both the gesso and non-gesso pages.  Now to find out what we are going to do with them...

7 comments:

  1. Gostei do resultado:))
    Bom fim-de-semana๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obrigada, Isabel. Igualmente. ( I hope that says, "Thank you, Isabel. You too".)
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting technique. I look forward to seeing what you are called on to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I am looking forward to finding out too!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Yes, it says๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is fabulous Ellie! I just love a good rust effect! Wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. Considering it was a new to me technique, I ended up with some pretty good results. I incorporated a few of them into the art journal page, so I shall share that at the end of the 'Printmaking' theme.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete