Saturday 24 August 2024

Doddington Hall visit - Sculpture (part one)

 Last Wednesday, we headed out to Doddington Hall, which is hosting a sculpture exhibition over the summer.  I took many photos, so will split them up into several posts.  If I can find or remember the number, I will add the name of the sculpture and the artist.  All of the sculptures were for sale but the prices reflected the creativity, the time they took to make and the costs of materials, as they should. However, I could dream and in my head, I spent a lot of money!

I do like hares, so this first one, 'Large Leaping Boxing Hares' by Martin Duffy was right up my street.
'Rain man' by Shaun Gagg was made out of nuts.
'Smoke - Life size whippet' and the 'Sitting greyhound' by Stuart Anderson were ones I would have happily taken home.  I do like the elegance of these dogs.
This bronze pangolin by David Cooke caused lots of interest as we went round.  
This horse, 'Stanley's Shoes', by Paul Pibworth, is made of of stainless steel plates which have letters stamped out of them.  
I really liked this idea.
These three large panels, 'Make a Wish' by Ian Gill warranted a closer look...
...the artist has bent the cut out pieces back, rather than removing them, to give a three dimensional effect.

More blue stained glass by Joe Szabo...
...and again.  It's the blue panes which captured my interest.
The bronze and steel 'Stag Head' by Nadine Collinson looked very much at home in the tree filled setting.
I would have loved to have taken the 'Corten Fern' by Ian Gill home with me too, but it was a little out of my price range.
It is a beautiful thing.
More photos to come...

4 comments:

  1. That looks like a WONDERFUL outing and I am sure that I would have fallen in lust many times. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It was a really enjoyable visit and there will be another two posts, I think as there was a lot to see!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. How wonderful Ellie. I liked many of the sculptures but I especially love the rusted effect ones. Yes the Corten Fern would be beautiful in my garden & I also loved the Make a Wish set. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. After your recent successful rust project, I thought they might appeal! You need deep pockets to buy the fern or the Make a Wish though - £18,000 and £15,000 respectively. In my head I must have spent at least two hundred thousand pounds altogether!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete