Thursday, 16 July 2026

Wanderlust 2026 - weeks fourteen to twenty-six - Paper Alchemy (part two)

Here are the other pages I particularly enjoyed making from the Paper Alchemy theme of the art journaling course.  Above is a collage of printed vellum, magazine transfers onto sticky tape, material, and photos. It was all about our past. 
We made 'paper leather' for this lesson, using packaging paper and coating it with a mixture of acrylic paint and glue. For some pieces, we added oil and scrunched it up and flattened it out many times which gave it a very 'leathery' feeling.  We also encased thread and sequins in tissue paper, which was rather messy, but fun!
As I make cards, making these cards was right up my street.  Abstract painting, painting an animal (our much missed cat, Scruffy) and then painting the background for one and finally using packaging to make a collage card.  
I used a matcha chocolate wrapper.
Watercolour flowers with added tissue paper foliage and gold accents worked really well.  Painting in the background made the flowers pop.
I did another version in watered down acrylics which worked well, but seems to have lost a bit of expression/spontaneity along the way.  I still like it though!
Making bunting using paper and material was a really enjoyable week.  I chose to make a single piece so that it could go in my journal. Alcohol inks on the gel plate made some lovely papers.
Finally for this theme was looking at the Japanese art of Kintsugi - taking something (usually a ceramic) which has got broken and then mending it, highlighting the cracks with gold.  Crackle paste came out to play here.  The photo in the centre is of Tupholme Abbey.
The crackle paste worked really well.  Our next theme is 'Stories Unfolded' - I think this may be another good one for me!

8 comments:

  1. Gosh Ellie - here I am peering really closely at my computer screen taking in all the amazing details in your work. Love love it all!!!
    I am familiar with the art of Kintsugi but only when used on broken china so it is wonderful to see it on card stock.
    Love the bunting - very Me that is!! I could just see a whole string of those. Love the bright watercolour flowers using tissue paper & I also love the lady ?queen in your second photo.
    So much loveliness Ellie - well done. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. If you click on the photos, it should enlarge them so you won't have to peer at them quite so much!
      The Kintsugi was done by cutting up the dark blue paper and collaging it, then adding the gold pen. It was very satisfying to do.
      It would be lovely to have a whole string of the bunting but that would need a bit more time to make. It's a project I would like to do though.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Wow all the detail!
    I love the ethos behind kintsugi 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, kjsutcliffe. This was certainly my favourite theme of the year (so far!).
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. They're all so good. The watercolour flowers with tissue paper remind me of a Rifle Paper Co. fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It would make an interesting (but rather busy) fabric! It was very enjoyable to make too, as was the acrylic version. I loved this theme in the course.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. The pages just keep getting better and better! Wow, Ellie.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amalia. They are all so different, which keeps things interesting and sometimes challenging, but also fun!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete