Considering how dry it has been over the last two months, there are some plants that have coped very well. Above is the triple coloured hibiscus, although I think there are only two colours on it now. It is in the sunniest part of the garden and has not been watered at all. Below it is an agapanthus which has flowered really well but which is in a pot, so it has been watered.
Here is the hibiscus again, showing the pink flowers and some of the white ones.
The other hibiscus, Syriacus Oiseau Bleu, in the north facing border, has done very well too, again, no extra water from me. This is one of my favourite plants and often features in my blog. Roses in the borders have done well, with no additional watering but those in pots have needed a weekly and sometime twice-weekly watering to keep going. My ferns in the north border have suffered a lot, despite me adding water bottles near them to try and help. I am not sure they will come back but we shall see.
We have now had some rain and temperatures are a little cooler, for which I am very thankful.
In other news, my cosmos have finally decided to join the party and start flowering. Hopefully they will go on into the Autumn. Above is Cupcakes Blush which is one I haven't grown before.
I'm not quite sure what this one is - but it is pretty.
These are at the front of the house - Candy Stripe, which I think is pretty reliable.
Candy Stripe again...
...and again. I like that the flowers are all slightly different.As all of us need to do, I am thinking about how to adapt what I grow next year. Cosmos Candy Stripe and Cosmos Sulphureus Polidor have both done well considering and I think perhaps I need more verbena bonariensis. I have some white foxgloves seedlings coming along and have three teasel plants growing on.
I have also just ordered some tulips - Finola for the front, Ronaldo and Princess Irene for the back. They should arrive September/October time.
The other thing I need to do is cut down the number of small pots of things I have. Lots to think about and always lots to do!








Your garden always look so beautiful Ellie - I know I say that all the time but I love seeing your plants. Regarding the ferns ... don't be afraid to cut them down to the bottom Ellie - I did this around my Pond one year where they had gone brown & dead looking .. & they soon came away again with fresh new leaves. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks, Julie. I have some lovely plants and I do my best to look after them. With the rain we had last week, the ferns are looking a little happier, so I am pleased about that. I am planning to spend some time in the garden tomorrow, so I will have a good look at everything and I expect there will be lots to do.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
I think we're all going to have to adapt and change the way we grow plants in the years ahead if we continue to get the heatwaves we have over the last few years, which I'm sure we will. Glad your cosmos are doing well, they're usually reliable and give a lot of late summer and autumn colour. I love the white varieties.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jo. I agree - things are going to have to change. I hope the water companies are going to improve - fewer leaks, more storage over winter, more money going into the infrastructure and not to the shareholders (that's probably not going to happen) and not allowing raw sewage into the rivers and sea. The cosmos have been slow to get going but I am hopeful they will keep going for a month or two. The white cosmos are really lovely and white is such a good colour in the evening - it shines out.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
I've watched plants thrive in this new climate we are having and then realise that are actually doing what they should do in their native climates - they know how to survive, where as the softer water needy plants that require regular English rain are struggling.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kate. It does surprise me which plants do well and which struggle. It must be down to their roots - those with a long root can get the water deep in the soil but ones with shorter roots can't. The hibiscus constantly surprise me - they look so exotic but seem to be tough shrubs. The difficulty is the plants need to be able to cope with heat and drought in summer but wet in winter and some typically mediterranean plants won't manage. We have some interesting times to come, that's for sure.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
How pretty everything looks. I wish they'd sell Candy Stripes in our nursery, such a stunning flower.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
Thanks, Amalia. I buy Cosmos Candy Stripe seeds and then sow them in April/May. They have been the best cosmos I have grown over the last couple of years.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie