Thankfully, it is now much cooler and you can feel the season turning. I, for one, am relieved, as I have really struggled during the heat of this last summer. I enjoy Autumn, so look forward to greeting those plants which come into their own at this time of the year. Above are cyclamen hederifolium, a sure sign that Autumn is here. I have several pots of them on the shady patio and they seem to be happy there. The flowers come before the leaves and the leaves have beautiful marble patterns.
Here are some others.
Also in a pot on the shady patio are some japanese anemones. I think this may be Pretty Lady Susan, but am not sure at all! It is flowering away well. My usually very reliable japanese anemone Bressingham Glow, which is in a border under a jasmine, has not enjoyed the heat and lack of water. It is flowering, but is a lot shorter than usual and with fewer leaves and flowers.
This japanese anemone was sold as Ruffled Swan, but I think it is Wild Swan, as it doesn't seem to have the ruffled edges. However, it does have pretty lilac backs to the petals.
It used to be in a south facing position, but hated the intense sun, so has been moved. It does like to be well watered and is quick to wilt, but that is due to it living in a pot (and probably needing to be divided!).
On the whole, it is an undemanding and rather lovely plant, brightening up a shady area.
Another plant which has been doing sterling service and flowering for a long time is Clematis Wyevale, a herbaceous clematis, again in a pot. It will let you know if it needs watering too, but just quietly flowers away, with a slightly soap-like fragrance on warm days. The hydrangeas have flowered but fading much more quickly then usual and the asters and helianthus Lemon Queen were also affected by the heat and drought, so are smaller than usual, but with the recent rain, they have perked up considerably. There is still lots to enjoy!







Your plant photos always look so lovely Ellie. Yes you will be going in to autumn as we head in to spring here. I am hoping (& praying) we don't get the heatwaves you had this summer just gone as they are predicting us a long hot summer. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks, Julie. I really hope you don't get the heatwaves with no rain, although I think your temperatures are hotter than ours on a regular basis. On the whole, my garden has done OK, although I have been watering the pots and I am thinking I may need to review what I have for the future.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
Its funny how different people react to the warm summer we have just had - I am missing it and feeling rather bereft as autumn seems to be taking over.
ReplyDeleteMy garden has definitely taken on autumnal hues as have the surrounding hills.
Thanks, kjsutcliffe. I am definitely not a summer lover. 21 degrees c and a nice breeze is my ideal, so this summer has not been a good one for me! I think my favourite season is Spring - fresh and green, with all the lovely bulbs and blossom.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
I'm the opposite, I'm always sad when autumn arrives as I hate to see the end of summer. I would definitely enjoy autumn more if it didn't lead to winter, haha. It's good that we have seasons though and it's nice to see favourite flowers in bloom again. I had a beautiful sedum in my old garden which was stunning at this time of year, I should really get another for this garden. I want to get some cyclamen too for my autumn pots.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jo. Yes, we are all different and that's to be celebrated! I don't mind bright clear winter days, but am less keen on the grey overcast ones. However, I am always looking forward to Spring! I always enjoy seeing the different flowers blooming at their time. Cyclamen hederifolium are good doers I find and it fascinates me that ants are used to spread their seeds around.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
Hello, I'm visiting from Jo's blog.
ReplyDeleteMy two favourite seasons are Spring and Autumn.
I do like seeing cyclamen ... I enjoyed seeing your photographs.
All the best Jan
Thanks and welcome, Jan. I am with you on the seasons and am much happier now that the heat seems to have gone. Hopefully we will still get some nice Autumn days to enjoy.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
Lovely photos, Ellie. I'm so excited for autumn. Ready for a new season, a fresh start, for coziness, baking and replanting the garden. Did I mention I was excited?
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
Thanks, Amalia. Me too, particularly after the heat we have all had this summer. Enjoy all the lovely things that Autumn offers.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie