Saturday 22 August 2020

New plants this year (so far)

Here is a round up of my new plants this year (up to now).  I do have some more on the way.  Above is Weigela Picobella Rosa which is a dwarf Weigela. I thought that a summer flowering little shrub would be a good addition to the pots.
I also bought some geranium sanguineum striatum which are young plants and haven't yet flowered.  (On the right is my first ever success with cuttings, which were from a nemesia confetti.)
A hydrangea to replace a plant that got too wet last winter and rotted.  This is a smaller plant - Hydrangea Paniculata 'Little Spooky' which will have white flowers.
My latest rose, Kew Gardens, with a lovely open flower, lightly scented but stronger in the sun.  The buds open an apricot colour but then age to a creamy white.
Lysimachia Clethroides has already featured, but i do like the white flowers which gracefully arch.
This is a tricolour hibiscus.  It has blue, white and pink flowers on one plant.  I do like these plants and would have more of them, but as space is tight, I thought this would be a good option.  I was a little disappointed that it was a semi-double as they are not that good for pollinators, but I have seen a bee successfully negotiating the extra petals, so perhaps it won't be as bad as I thought.
Here's the white flower...
 ...and the pink.  I look forward to seeing this grow and will try to keep it under control.  
In a 'normal' year, I would have bought plants at the gardens and flower shows I visited, but I am pleased with my new plants and hope they will all do well for me.

10 comments:

  1. All are lovely.
    Nature provides the very best solace and heart balm doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. She does indeed and that has been something to be especially thankful for this year. Being able to buy some new plants has also been something I have been grateful for.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. You've made some wonderful choices. I hope they all do well and go on to give you many years of pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I hope they do well too and I will do my best to look after them. Some will live in pots, some in the border.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. How do you decide what to add? You have so many beautiful plants and they always seem to appreciate their new home very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. I do succumb to emails from plant companies I have bought from before, but before I order, I do some research about the plant to find out more about it. I have also seen plants on Gardeners World - the Lysimachia was one such plant which Carol Klein was raving about. (However, I also do impulse buy occasionally and sometimes these plants aren't necessarily the best choices). Then there are the plants at flower shows - so many choices!
      I am now somewhat restricted through not having much room left!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. You have such an amazing collection of beautiful flowers, your garden must be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainable mum. The garden is certainly full and I do enjoy a wander round to see what is flowering. It doesn't have much design and I am sure some people would think it is a mess, but it's my mess and I love it! I get so mush enjoyment from sitting and enjoying the garden as it changes through the seasons. I would like to grow a bit more produce, but that would mean a re-design and possible clear out, so we shall see.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. How lovely. You have green fingers to go with your green plants.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amalia. I do try to look after my plants but sometimes I have some casualties - some plants just haven't liked my garden. For some reason, I cannot grow lavender (and I have tried!).
      I have been very grateful for my garden this year in particular.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete