Monday 31 August 2020

Latest cards and other things and a new project?

I have been making cards (of course) and here are a few of the recent makes.  Above was a thank you for my mother-in-law.
This was made for her 90th birthday earlier in August.  I really like this Sizzix 'Romantic layers' die set as it gives such a pretty result.
Here's the inside of the card.
Here are a few cards for the dreaded 'C' word - yes, these are for Christmas!
This card was for another 90th birthday for one of Chris's friends.
Another birthday card using a watercolour background...
...and another, again using a watercolour background.
The 'Other Things' is my neglected hexagon English Paper Piecing project - to make a cushion cover in shades of blue, with the idea of graduating colour.  I have been following Jo at Through the Keyhole and she is just starting an EPP project, which prompted me to get mine going again too.  Since I took the photo above, I have discovered a huge stash of blue fat quarters, so I was busy cutting and stitching more hexagons yesterday, while watching the film 'Tremors' on TV.  You wouldn't think these pastimes would work together, but they did.  Well, I thought they had but then realised that I had cut the paper patterns too big, so had to take them apart, re-cut and re-sew (this time watching three quarters of 'The Day of the Jackal' - a film I have never yet managed to see the whole way through!)  I wonder what anyone would make of my viewing on a Sunday!  Anyway, I am just finishing off re-sewing and then I shall lay them all out again and see what I have got.  The idea for this cushion cover came from a book - Wabi-Sabi Sewing , (I love the idea of 'perfectly imperfect') but I have gone a bit off piste and am making a different version for my cushion.  We shall see how it all goes.
Having finished my Index Card A Day Challenge, (and now constructing a box from an old shoe box to keep the cards in) I have been thinking about what to do next and I think I may have found the perfect thing.  More news on that later in the week, all being well.  I know, how enigmatic...

8 comments:

  1. Your cards are wonderful Ellie, you have reminded me that I need to get making some as we have a few birthdays coming up. Your sewing sounds just like me when I am distracted by trying to watch something too, I often make mistakes then too. I am glad to hear that you managed to sort it out, your hexes are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I really enjoy making cards as they give me that crafting buzz, don't take too long and i can make them for the person they are going to, so they can include their favourite colours etc. I am going to sort out the hexies and see how many more I need then get sewing them together.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I love the effect of the watercolour background on your cards, they're so pretty. Isn't it funny how reading a blog post can inspire you to pick up a long forgotten project again. I get so much inspiration from blogs, I'm only just starting my EPP journey but it's reading blogs and watching podcasts which have set me off on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. Sometimes the backgrounds take centre stage and watercolours always look lovely. I hope your EPP journey is going well - have you cut into those lovely fabrics yet? I need to check how many more hexies I need and then I can start construction which will be exciting. The internet is such a great resource for crafting, isn't it?
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Your cards are keepers. Some cards are read, enjoyed, and thrown away. Not yours.
    And yes, the Wabi-Sabi concept makes a heap of sense to me. I look forward to seeing your cushion (in the fullness of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I do enjoy making cards and using my craft stash. My cushion will feature again, once there is a bit more progress and I am aiming to finish it before Winter. I was brought up with darning holes in clothes and using clothes to make patchwork etc, so the Wabi-Sabi concept has been with me for longer than I thought!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous cards Ellie! I was thinking of making a few cards of my own for Christmas(never done it before) but using buttons and crochet perhaps. There is not much of a selection of cards here! At one time I just couldn't find any and had to send post cards for my mother's birthday or Mother's day! This has gradually changed over time and now you can find some in the large supermarkets. I have seen the Day of the Jackal several times. It's a great film! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I enjoy being able to personalise the cards for the recipient just a little. Finishing a card I am pleased with also gives a sense of satisfaction (even though it is easier and cheaper to buy a card!) One day, I will manage to see The Day of the Jackal right from the beginning although I have now seen the end...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete