Saturday 1 August 2020

Artist's Trading Card (ATC) - August


The year seems to be going so quickly - it isn't, but it seems that way.  Perhaps this is due to the unusual conditions we have been facing.  Here we are at the beginning of August and my ATC reflects the harvest theme.  I went for a simple image again, with a sort of wheat field, using acrylic paint for the background and stamped images collaged on top.
The gemstones reflect the browns of the wheat - citrine, citrine again, golden rutile quartz, smoky quartz, botswana agate, more botswana agate and tiger's eye.  The gemstone charm is the gemstone for August which is peridot.
The back shows the August poem and a busy bee with some ripe strawberries.  
This card was only just finished in time, due to me being busy with the ICAD challenge.  That has now finished so I can devote myself to other creative activities.

8 comments:

  1. I love the texture to the grain particularly.
    Gorgeous - as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. The theme was dictated by the verse, so it's a bit literal, but it worked out OK. I added gouache details on the ears of wheat as the stamp hadn't worked quite as well as I had hoped. It also helped to make each ear of wheat different.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Amazingly creative Ellie. Very original and I do so like originality!! Sort of wheat field not at all it is definitely a wheat field...how did you do that?? Love the gems too!! Keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. The wheat field was made with an acrylic paint backgound and I used an old AA card (or hotel room card, or old store card) to print the lines in the background, again using acylic paint. The ears of wheat were stamped separately then I added details over the top with gouache, to define the ears of wheat more. They were cut out and glued onto the background.
      I really enjoy choosing the gems to go with each card (and I am using a bit of my huge gemstone stash too, so that's an added bonus).
      Best wishes
      Ellie
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I love the 3D effect that you have created with this card, it goes so perfectly with the time of year. You have completely captured that with this design and the colours that you have used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. The verses are helping to dictate the images, which gives a starting point. (Having such a huge stash of media also helps as I have been able to find something appropriate for each month). Now to think about September...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. I have to confess that your artist cards are among my favourite. This one almost feels like the Canadian Prairies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. these cards started off being more abstract, but as the months have gone along, they are becoming a little more literal. The poem is influencing me more on some months than others, but I like the small scale of these and using some of my gemstone stash to add to them too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete