Saturday 10 October 2020

The last rose of Summer and welcome Autumn

It has become quite autumnal fairly quickly, but there are still lots of plants in flower.  Above is Ferdinard Pichard who has been wonderful this year and has a lovely scent too.
Rose William Shakespeare 2000, late to flower this year, but still producing blooms.
The more autumnal flowering plants are always welcome - japanese anemone Bowles' Pink, 
Symphyotrichum (Aster) novae-angliae Mrs S T Wright, 
Symphyotrichum (Aster) Little Carlow.
A new plant - Clematis 'Little Lemons'. I thought a small clematis I could grow in a pot with little lemon flowers would be a great addition to the garden, so here it is.  
There are seedheads and flowers on this plant, so I hope it will do well for me and be happy.
The buddleia is still flowering for those insects who are still flying to collect nectar.
Miscanthus is looking elegant and dramatic, as it does every year.  If I had a bigger garden, I would have more of these plants.  Welcome to Autumn, with its changing leaf colours and gradual slowing down of the garden in readiness for Winter.  There is still a lot to enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. There is indeed a lot in your garden to enjoy. On this side of the world the roses are in bud. I hope that they start to open soon. I really hope it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I was sent a rose catalogue yesterday, but sadly, I really don't have any more room. I hope your roses bloom beautifully for you.
      Best wishes

      Delete
  2. Your pictures are beautiful, Ellie! I wish I could enjoy fall's offerings a bit more here on our land... but I'm afraid when I look outside all I see are the chores that need to be done before the snow flies. I'm missing a lot by thinking that way! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I have lots of jobs to do in the garden too and I will try to get on with them - potting on some plants and then insulating pots ready for winter. I am looking forward to when the blueberry leaves start to change colour as they are so dramatic.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. You always have such beautiful blooms in your garden, thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. Some of these plants have been with me for quite a while and I enjoy seeing them every year. I hope my new plants will settle in well and enjoy being in the garden too.
      I picked a raspberry this morning and it was delicious - the variety was Joan J. I don't have much to eat from the garden - blueberries, a patio apple which hasn't fruited yet, autumn fruiting raspberries and some herbs - but it is always nice to eat what has been grown.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. I love the last flowers of summer the best, like favorite guests lingering after a party.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amalia. There is something lovely about these late flowering plants and I always enjoy seeing them.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete