Sunday 18 October 2020

Artistic endeavours

Back in March 2020, before the world changed, the powers that be at work decided we should have 'Wellbeing Wednesdays' all through March.  Lots of different activities were on offer, for both students and staff and I signed up for ceramics/pottery, which was an open session over lunchtime.  I went with a colleague and we had a great time.  She made a vase, while I started off smaller with some decorations, using biscuit cutters.  We added any patterns we wanted and then returned the next week to glaze them.  The lovely art technician had fired them in the intervening time.  I decided on white or clear glaze for the hearts...
...and the most gorgeous blue/green glaze for the sun, stars and moon, (which is much nicer in real life than the photos would have us believe) which I had left unpatterned.  This was my first attempt at glazing and the gentle painting activity was very enjoyable.  
I made one sun into a sunflower, which had to be yellow, of course.  These were then fired and given back to me.  Buoyed with my success, I planned a more ambitious project of a ceramic running hare, with impressed patterns on it and glazed in white, blues and greens.  I had also planned to make some gemstone dangles to add to it. I worked diligently on the design and found the stamps to make the patterns.  I turned up to work, looking forward to that day...only to find the campus was being closed, we had to gather our things and go home.  I have been working from home ever since. My hare remains in plan form and one day I hope to make it, but not at the moment.  I could make it in polymer clay, so that may be a possibility.

However, I have now started some of the activities from my Wanderlust 2021 course.  Above is a loose watercolour mandala design, which started out as circles drawn with a compass and just developed as I went along, after having watched a video.  I really enjoyed creating this as it was so meditative and just gently grew. I started off with the watercolour sections and then added the pen drawing a circle at a time.
 I added some glitter to a few areas.  I am going to make some more of these, I think, using some of my metallic gouache.

12 comments:

  1. I love that you continue to stretch your artistic horizons. I can remember seeing a beautiful sand mandala at our local gallery. So much work, so much beauty - and then it was swept away. I am glad that yours will have a more permanent form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I think that the Wanderlust course will certainly introduce me to new things. There was a man creating the sand mandalas on our High Street last summer and it was amazing to watch, but, as you say, at the end it got swept away. It must have been the meditative process which was more important than the end product.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Oooohh Ellie, I like it... very much! I'm not able to do much with the pre-course offerings of Wanderlust 2021 but I'm really looking forward to next year. My son-in-law does pottery and his maternal uncle has his own shop & is quite well-known in Ohio for his work. Do you watch Sarah of MySerenityCrafts on YouTube? She has several videos using polymer clay and has a great teaching style. But it's not the same as doing things with a group, is it. I'm sorry your little group at work got disbanded. The virus has disrupted a lot of really nice things. Hopefully, once this is all over, we can start doing fun things with others again. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I am really looking forward to the Wanderlust course next year too. I'm going to tackle the composition and colour theory bit next and then launch into backgrounds! I used to do a lot with polymer clay but then got distracted by papercraft. I will definitely have a look at Sarah's videos - thank you for that. One day, I may be able to make the ceramic hare.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. That is a shame your pottery course stopped. You were obviously doing very well. Are you planning to make your pottery into a mobile? They would all look lovely together. Smashing yellow glaze! That is a beautiful drawing.....I can't get enough of mandalas in crochet....there are so many possibilities. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I am better with 2D ceramics than 3D, but I was enjoying the pottery course. I haven't decided what to do with the pieces yet, but you're right, they would look lovely in a mobile.
      Stay safe too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. I love your small clay decorations they are so lovely. What a great idea, I have not thought of making decorations with clay. Your mandala is wonderful, I love that it was created organically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. Air dry clay or paper clay would work well for decorations I think but so would polymer clay (although that would need baking). I really loved the time I spent on the mandala and made another one last night. They are such a gentle activity. I could get quite obsessed with them I think!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Hello! :)
    very interesting post. I read it with pleasure. you write very interestingly and your posts are very inspiring :) if you want, we can visit each other or observe our blogs :)
    Greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ayuna and welcome. Greetings from the UK. I like to share what I have been doing (crafting, gardening, reading etc.) on my blog, using it as a kind of diary.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. Hi Ellie. Have you ever tried making clay with stale white bread and pva glue? As long as it's kept dry it is brilliant. It shrinks quite a bit as it's drying so you need to take account of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie. No I haven't - that sounds intriguing. I shall do a bit of googling and find out more.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete