Sunday 31 October 2021

Wanderlust 2021 - weeks forty-one to forty-four - Movement

Week forty-one involved creating a face with a continous line and watching the movement of the pencil/pen/brush and ink.  We didn't need to worry about proportions or realistic faces, just concentrate on the movement.   Using a brush and ink was a new technique to me and one I really enjoyed.
Then we used watercolours for week forty-two and my heart sank just a little bit as I watched the demo.  (The image came about as the teacher usually went travelling around the world, but was not able to  during the pandemic, so had to travel in her studio, using items around her.)  I am not confident with watercolours and have never been all that successful.  However, this class was really interesting and gave me lots of advice such as: use a watersoluble pencil to draw the outlines; don't try to colour everything in - it is not a colouring book; use mid tones to start adding the shading; don't be afraid of  really dark shadows.  I was really pleased with the finished picture. 
I used a new medium during week forty-three, which was slow drying medium or retarder.  This is mixed into the acrylic paint and extends the drying time, meaning you can work with the paint for longer. In this instance, we had to create skies on blended ombre backgrounds.  I had plenty of photos of skies to work from and really enjoyed making the blended backgrounds.
Week forty-four was about moving the eye around the page, using images, collage and marks.  I really enjoyed making the background using watercolours and acrylic paint, with stencilling on top.
The course is drawing to an end with the final theme, which is 'Fables'.  

8 comments:

  1. Wow. I love that you are continuing to learn and expanding your repertoire. I am super impressed at the results too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It certainly is a learning experience and I am really enjoying using new to me media and techniques. I have surprised myself with what I have created, particularly using watercolours!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Your artwork is absolutely marvelous, Ellie. I love each and every piece. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I stil haven't quite got the hang of making the pieces my own, but am hoping that as my confidence continues growing, it might develop. In the meantime, I am loving this course and am looking forward to starting the next one in January.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I love the watercolour. I think it's such a hard thing to work with but it just seems to flow out the end of the brush for those who are able, sadly not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I love watercolour, but have never been able to use it that successfully. However, I am enjoying using it as part of the course, or following a watercolour book I recently bought. I am less judgemental about my efforts too, which does help!
      I shall keep practising...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Wonderful work Ellie! Especially love the pink clouds. Well done on the watercolour too - some great tips there, thank you.

    I do feel obliged to point out an all too real hazard though that I have spotted .....

    The tea cup is dangerously close to the pot where you swish your brushes!!!... have you ever dunked a paintbrush in a cuppa by accident, as I have? ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lulu. I really enjoyed making the little cloud pieces with acrylic paint and the slow drying medium. I usually use the ironing board to work on (the table is far too full of stuff to work on without spending half the day removing it all, although it would make more sense to clear it...) so there isn't room for a cup of tea as well as the water pot. I feel that if I did have them together, I would certainly dip my brush in the tea!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete