Thursday 1 September 2022

Goodbye Scruffy

Tuesday 30th was a really sad day - we had to say goodbye to our lovely cat companion, Scruffy.  He first came to us in 2011, when we were having a boiler installed, although he had been coming in and sleeping on the side in the kitchen before that and he chose to come and live with us.  The vet thought he was about two.  He had a skin condition which meant he needed steroid jabs every three months or so to control the itching.   He was such a character!

He liked to 'help' with whatever I was doing...checking a sewing pattern...
...testing a quilt I made him to see if it passed the comfort test...
...seeing if he could make a bed out of a cardboard box...
...waiting for someone to try to stroke his tummy - go one, I dare you!
He would usually close his eyes when you tried to take a photo...
...eyes closed...testing another box...
trying to trip us up on the stairs...
This is an unusual photo, with his eyes open, but he was quite young here...
...testing out the rug in front of the fire - I think it passed inspection.  

He would come and sit on my lap when I was on the computer working from home during the pandemic and he also enjoyed joining with my yogalates by sitting on the yoga mat and sometimes on my chest.  He used to sit on me, with his head on my chest and then  squiggle himself round to be on his back in my arms and lap. He liked sleeping on my pot of camassias out in the garden, or on the shed roof, surveying his kingdom.  Another job he took seriously was waiting for me outside the bathroom door and then walking me to the sitting room.  I will miss him wanting to sleep on the bed at night and then when he wanted me to get up and feed him, he came and sat right by my head. If that didn't work, he would bat my face with his paw!

He had an irregular heartbeat and we were warned that eventually it would catch up with him, but in the end, he stopped eating very much, and lost weight very quickly.  He clearly wasn't himself at all.  The vet checked him over and although his heart was irregular, it was OK, but she said there was a growth in his intestines which shouldn't have been there, so we had to make the difficult decision to ensure he wouldn't suffer any more.  

The house feels so empty without him and it's the first time we have come back to a house with no cat in it since we have lived here.  We are both just a little bit heartbroken.  Rest peacefully, Scruffety-man ( or Munchkin or Darly Boy).  We love you x.

18 comments:

  1. Hurting for you. Hurting with you. And yes, and empty (cat free) house is dreadful isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. We're thinking of you too. We said originally we didn't want another cat as saying goodbye is always so painful. Although they do bring a lot of joy while they are with you, to balance the sadness.
      However, there are so many needing homes that we may well have another in the future. I am not enjoying the empty house.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
    2. They wind their paws deep into our heart strings and take a piece of us with them when they leave don't they?
      We will get another rescue cat. And turn the house into a home again. Hugs.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, EC. They really do. Even with all the pain of losing them, I would still be happy to have another. I am so pleased to hear that you are thinking of getting another cat too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. You have such lovely memories of the little fella. He was lucky to have found you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meanqueen. Cat lovers will all sympathise with us, which is lovely. He was a lovely little cat.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Awwwwww ((((((((Ellie)))))))), I so SO sorry about the loss of Scruffy. Our beloved furry family members *never* live long enough! When the time seems right, adopt another kitty.... in Scruffy's memory. It will make him smile in heaven. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. You're right, they never live long enough. All our cats gave us so much joy and companionship while they were with us. I would love to have another cat, even knowing that I will have to go through the pain at the end. It's worth it!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. As you know we lost our lovely Rupert recently and so I know exactly how you are feeling right now. I am still upset about Rupert. Rowan is now worrying me, she is loose the other end but passed a large fur ball that way this afternoon, so I am hoping she will pick up.
    We love these wonderful creatures so much don't we?
    Lots of love from me
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Briony. I can sympathise with you too on losing Rupert. They leave such a huge hole in our lives when they go, don't they? I hope Rowan will improve now - the joys and pain of having cat companions...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. I am so very sorry to hear this Ellie. Scruffy sounds like he was a wonderful cat. Thinking of you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. People have been so kind with their comments - Blogland can be such a nice place! Scruffy was a sweet little cat and he has left a big space behind.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. Hello Ellie, so sad that you have lost your beautiful Scruffy, though your tales of his funny character did make me smile. I hope Scruffy is at peace in a quilt lined cardboard castle in the sky. Big love xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. He was such a character. He did love a cardboard box (but so did most of the cats we have had - seems to be a cat thing!). I still think I hear him scratching at the door. For a little cat, he has left a big hole.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  7. This is my first visit to your blog and I feel so saddened to hear of your loss. My husband and I have a nine-year-old cat named Barry and, even though he can be a handful, I wouldn't want to lose him. It is always a hard decision to make to allow a cat to go peacefully rather than having to suffer at length. You're strong for having made that decision for Scruffy and I know it's hard, but you'll get through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and welcome, Astrid. I am sorry that your first visit to my blog was such a sad one. I hope future posts will be a bit happier! We are both fine now, although we will always miss him - they are all such characters, aren't they? I hope Barry continues to give you joy and companionship for many years.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  8. So sorry to hear of the loss of your furry friend, so sad when they go and leave such a huge gap in your life. They are all so individual with their quirks and so lovable. We were so sad when we lost Simba and Lucy within a couple of days of each other, then although it didn´t minimise their loss, Sonia and Sashie arrived, very different temperaments, a different dimension. take care xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. Everyone in Blogland has been so kind. There are a lot of cat lovers out there! Yes, they do leave a big hole when they are no longer with you and it doesn't get any easier each time you have to say goodbye. They do bring a lot of joy when they are with you though.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete