Thursday 8 September 2022

Wanderlust 2022 - weeks twenty-nine to thirty-five - Watercolours

I have absolutely loved learning all about watercolours.  I had used them before but until last year's Wanderlust, I had never really felt confident with them.  We have used them with gesso, as in the page above.
We have used them with salt and isopropyl alcohol, to create watery effects.
On week 31, we used them through stencils and created collage papers, layering them on tissue paper.
Week 32 was all about abstract florals and using the paintbrush to do the work for you.  I was meant to stick to just one leaf shape but I got carried away making different leaves and I wanted them all in there!
This was an extra page using some of our practise florals and leaves.  I have since bought a book on abstract florals and shall work my way through it.
My best portrait so far, using just two colours of paint and layering the colours, letting the layers dry before continuing.  We drew the features with a black watercolour pencil, which couldn't be erased if we went wrong.  I was really thrilled with how this turned out.  
Week 34 was capturing shapes and colours on a walk, or in my case, in the garden.  This top flap includes photos from the garden and some leaf gel plate prints...
...and here's the page underneath, capturing the shapes of the bricks and various leaf and flower shapes.
Finally (and I am really sorry to have finished watercolours, although I will continue to explore them and what they can do) was this collage explosion of colourful flowers, using doodled flowers copied from books, random abstract rose-type flowers, lilac-type flowers and imaginary ones too, leaves and berries and a few stamped elements.  I found this process such a relaxing and joyful one.    

We now move on to inks and I am sure there will be lots more experimenting! 

I have signed up to Wanderlust 2023 as I felt I wanted to continue my artistic journey and with the way things are going, I may well need that creative boost even more. I hope you'll enjoy coming along with me.

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant. That portrait is excellent and flowers never, ever go astray. I am really looking forward to Wanderlust 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I am really pleased with the portrait. I am definitely improving. I think Wanderlust 2023 will be continuing the exploration of various media, so I am looking forward to that next year.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a wonderful selection of your amazing creations. The portrait is really good. Thank you for sharing all these with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I loved the watercolour section of the course this year. I need to keep on exploring what these paints can do.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Especially loving the bright watercolour florals Ellie - how wonderful a whole wall of that would be! Have fun with the inks - I looks forward to seeing them... :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I think the watercolours have been my favourite media to use so far. They are so versatile and able to be used with so many other media.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete