Saturday 17 September 2022

I made a dress!

I had been looking for a nice loose summer dress, with a scoop neck, small sleeves and pockets and hadn't been able to find anything I liked.  Then I looked at patterns and the StyleArc Montana dress kept cropping up.  I took the plunge and sent for it.  I had seen on the reviews that the pattern was great and beginner friendly, but the instructions definitely weren't.  While I have made a few things to wear now and am not a total beginner, I am still not that confident, but thought I could manage this.  They were right about the instructions - they are confusing!  They suggest you make a double layered bodice but I wasn't going to do that, or add facings, but I didn't want to do that either, so in the end, I just made some bias binding and put that around the neck and sleeves.  I think it works fine.  I had to look up in-seam pockets and also how to gather properly, but I found lots of help online and in some of my sewing books.  
Here it is.  I used a dark blue with white polka dots cotton and made it over a few days.  Granted, it doesn't look its best on a hanger, but Chris said it looked nice and I felt it looked OK too. I have two more lots of material (bright pink with flowers and a blue/purple batik) so shall be making two more of these.  While it may not be quite warm enough to wear them at the moment (although if I put leggings underneath or boots and added a jumper or cardigan, I probably could wear them over the next couple of weeks), they will be ready for next summer!

10 comments:

  1. Super job Ellie, the dress is a triumph!!! In seam pockets - now that's a bit posh ;) I have been enjoying catching up on the Sewing Bee on TV. I'm waiting for the sewing bug to strike (it usually comes in winter!) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I know - in seam pockets! I do like a pocket in things. I enjoy Sewing Bee too - their skills are amazing!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Lovely, well done, I´ve made a few clothes over the years but with lack of knowledge, never really got into it. At secondary school the needlework teacher had no patience with me being left handed and made life a misery resulting me giving up the classes, shame really, maybe I could have found enjoyment in customising and making your own thing, and saving money! xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissie. I need to get better with zips so that I can make some more skirts and I also have some stretch fabric which would be great for tunic dresses, but I am a bit scared of that! I should give it a try, perhaps this autumn/winter...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I love polka dots, good find on your fabric. I've not sewn clothes in years. Heck no even sure I remember how to thread my machine, lol. Well done. You'll be ahead for next year. I find buying dresses for adults...not some skinny teenager that likes to bare it all hard to do. I was really into The LulaRoe dresses until they started having quality control issues with sizing. I've had a good number of them over the years and it was time to part with them. Fabric worn, and some didn't fit as well anylonger. I've gained a few lbs. My daughter hooked me up with a line called Karina dresses. I LOVE them. The fabric is high quality, doesn't wrinkle and they are well made. I have several sleeveless that I won't get much wear out of til next year; couple of short sleeve, and one 3/4 sleeve. Check them out and see what you think.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. The Karina dresses look really good, particularly if you're in the US. I do prefer cotton fabric, rather than microfibre, but the styles look very pretty and comfortable.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. It looks lovely, a hand sewn item is always one to treasure. I usually adapt patterns so that things fit me better. I always mean to sew myself more clothes but there is always something else pulling on my time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. Even this simple 'make it in an afternoon' dress took me several days to finish as I don't sew for more than a couple of hours together at the most (due to aching shoulders). I agree, there's always something else I could (or should) be doing!
      I will cut out two more over the next couple of days and hope to make a start on sewing them, now I know how to do the pockets and gathering.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous dress, stitched up beautifully! I love the classic choice of navy polkadot. 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Josie. Navy polka dot is very forgiving! I have a fuchsia pink with flowers and a batik in shades of blue/purple waiting to be made up - maybe this winter?
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete