Thursday 20 April 2023

Late Spring garden

Apart from tulips there are some other rather lovely plants to celebrate in the garden.  Above is Erythronium Pagoda - a 'dog's-tooth violet', although they aren't violets at all.  The 'Dog's-tooth' bit comes for the shape of the bulb which looks a bit like a canine tooth. I have had these in the garden for many years and have loved seeing them...
...but they have only just started to make a decent sized clump.
Epimedium x versicolor Sulphureum (I think) was another one I have had for years.  I thought I had lost it completely but it has reappeared, much to my delight.
Camellia rosthorniana Cupido is flowering down at the bottom of the garden.
I spotted a little self-sown viola in amongst some sempervivums.
This was the colour of the sky this morning, with the Magnolia Susan flowers looking (and smelling) beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful. I do envy you your magnolia. I have planted several over the years but the cockatoos have destroyed them all and I have given up. Reluctantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. Seeing the garden change through the seasons never fails to delight me. I would love to have room for the really big magnolias, but enjoy and am grateful for the smaller ones that I have. Magnolia Fairy Blush is just starting to flower too.
      There are always plants we would love to be able to grow but can't, despite trying, aren't there? One of mine is lavender - it just doesn't like me! I have to admire it in other gardens instead.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. You are very lucky to have a magnolia Ellie. Interesting to hear in EC's comment above about cockatoos being partial to them! :0 :) The dog's tooth violet is lovely and the self-sown viola ever so sweet xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. The magnolia is in a big pot, but really would prefer to be in the ground I think. I have root pruned it once, but it is now too big to do that again ( I would need a team of people and possibly some kind of tractor!) It is a lovely thing though.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete