Saturday 27 May 2023

RHS Chelsea week...and in my garden - all the As (along with a few others)

Chelsea Garden photos from the RHS Chelsea website
I have been enjoying the TV coverage of RHS Chelsea over the last week.  It is always interesting to see what the designers, construction teams and gardeners come up with.  I haven't ever visited the show myself, nor am I likely to - way too many people for comfort!  Sustainability, gardening with nature and the gardens being relocated after the show seemed to be themes this year, which are all good.  I liked bits of a few gardens including the area above from The Myeloma A Life Worth Living Garden by Chris Beardshaw.  My criteria is 'would I like this outside my back door?'  In the case above, yes I would, a lovely calm green space with ferns and a water feature. 
I also liked the Royal Entomological Society garden by Tom Massey with its wildlife and insect friendly (as you would expect!) planting.  The colours this year seem to be green, white and magenta/purple, and these could be seen on a lot of the gardens. 
There were some beautifully designed, constructed and planted stage sets such as Cleve West's Centrepoint garden, showing how nature takes over a derelict Victorian Terrace and bringing homelessness into focus.  I can appreciate this, but wouldn't want it outside my back door! 

With Chelsea over for another year,  what is happening in my garden?  It's the As - Alliums, Aquilegias and Astrantias.  Above is allium Purple Sensation.
I don't know that name of this allium, but is is another lovely one.  I think I may need more of these in the autumn.
Aquilegia Navy and White was the starting point for my aquilegias but they seem to have changed as they have self seeded about.
I like the darker purple of this one.
I do like an astrantia and have several of the darker ones.  Above is Star of Love or Star of Fire - I'm not sure which. This one is in the border.
Astrantia Burgundy Manor is in a pot and I love this one.  It is a stunner!  I have got three Astrantia Roma young plants growing on, which should be a nice pink shade.  I hope they will flower next year.
Other plants making a show at the moment are Philadelphus Little White Love. This took a while to get going but has started to grow and flower profusely.  As with most Philadelphus, it has a lovely scent.
The peony I repotted last autumn has rewarded me with more flowers than it has ever had.  
My latest camassia, Silk River, is nearly in flower so I am checking it every morning at the moment.   I am really enjoying the garden and the sunny weather has helped a lot, particularly after the cold Spring.  I have lost two agapanthus plants which were overwintered in the shed and obviously did not like the cold snap last December, and a few other small plants, but I am realistic and it just means I can replace them with something else (like another rose?) Funnily enough, I have got my eye on a new rose by David Austin, Dannahue.  I don't really have room for any more roses, but may have to squeeze this one in.  Speaking of roses, they have started flowering, so there will be a couple of posts to come... 

8 comments:

  1. Like you I am not comfortable in crowds. If I lived closer I think I brave the RHS Chelsea at least once though.
    The snippets of colour in your garden are lovely. I am looking forward to seeing more. I have a huge weakness for David Austin roses too - though they are often very prickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, EC. I think the same about Chelsea; part of me feels I should visit just once to say I have done it. Another part thinks that it is too expensive with the travel and an overnight stay (probably), there are too many people and you get a much better view on the TV as visitors aren't usually allowed on the gardens themselves - they have to view from the edges. Still, never say never! I may just have bought the new Dannahue rose...oops! A re-jig of my pots is now on the cards...
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blooms as always Ellie. You’d think having lived in London for four years I would have seen the Chelsea Garden Show but no! I can’t think of any excuse why we didn’t ! 🤨 such a shame ! Keep well. Amanda x


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. Well, you may get the chance to go again one day?! I much prefer viewing it all from the comfort of my sitting room!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Hello Ellie, what a lovely post. I haven't watched any of the Chesea coverage this year as I've been crazy busy. This I shall have to correct by binge watching on catchup when time allows. The top picture is so lush & lovely. Like you I don't fancy the crowds, plus the fact that you can't actually walk through the gardens. Hmmm, maybe we should try to blag press passes so we can visit at 06:00 in the morning for a private view??? ;)

    Your alliums, aquilegias, anstratia & peony are looking stunning. I have x2 alliums for the first time this year. I think I planted x3 a couple of years ago, but can't remember exactly what! Oh yes, that Dannahue rose is a beauty. I'm sure you could squeeze one more in ;) xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. Ooh, press passes - now there's an idea! I wonder if they would believe us - possibly not! I do enjoy seeing the alliums and they are usually out in my garden around Chelsea week. I have now received my Dannahue rose (yes, you knew it would be on the way!) and it is just getting acclimatised to the garden before I plant it in a big pot...somewhere...something else may have to go out to the front to make room for it.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks and welcome, Hena. I do like lots of flowers in my little back garden - they bring me a lot of joy.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete