Saturday 12 August 2023

The garden in mid August

 I have been enjoying the changes in the garden recently.  The first flush of roses are over and other things are having their moment to shine.

I was late to the Salvia Amistad party but can now understand what all the fuss was about.  These plants have been wonderful and show no signs of running out of steam.  The bees love them too.
Reliable japanese anemone Bressingham Glow is putting on a good show and will keep going into Autumn.
Agapanthus Navy Blue is flowering the best it has for some years.  I think it will need dividing next year.
It is a fabulous colour.
The patio apple is fruiting up - I should get about ten apples this year. 
Hibiscus Syriacus Oiseau Bleu is in flower and always manages to look so exotic but is a tough shrub.
Phlox paniculata Bright Eyes (I think) is planted in a poor spot but seems to come back and flower each year.
Another Phlox (unsure of the name) is flowering in a pot but has been a bit battered by the rain through July.
Clematis Blue Angel (also in a pot) has done better than expected.
At the front of the house, I have had more plants to enjoy. These include a cosmos and some nicotiana, nemesia Confetti, another Salvia Amistad, a dwarf Mexican Orange Blossom and a Hydrangea Magical Revolution Pink.  This combination makes me happy.

9 comments:

  1. I am LOVING your garden and it is inspiring me to continue to work in my own sadly neglected space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I always like to focus on the things that are looking good in the garden! My garden needs some work too, but I am out there when time and inclination (and weather) allow! Your plants are stunning and I love seeing them. Plants can bring so much joy.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. So many beautiful flowers and apples too.. amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hena. I like the changing seasons in the garden and further afield too. We are lucky to have a good growing climate in the UK. After all the rain in July, the garden is still looking green.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Oh My - your garden is looking so pretty Ellie. Such gorgeous colours everywhere. Here in New Zealand the agapanthas are considered a weed - even though I have lots of them in my garden. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. i do like lots of colour in the garden, as I think you can tell!
      Agapanthus a weed?! It's a highly prized plant over here in the UK! However, I suppose any plant can become a problem if it gets too over enthusiastic!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Interesting that Julie (above) says Agapanthus is considered a weed in New Zealand. I can understand that having failed miserably at digging mine out. Chainsaw it will have to be! Now I think I said this last year but that Hibiscus Syriacus Oiseau Bleu is absolutely stunning!!!!! ♡ ♡ ♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of fabulous garden inspiration. I need a phlox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. I think I need to get some more phlox next year as they seem to be reliable and they keep flowering for a while too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete