Tuesday 12 September 2023

Hydrangeas

The hydrangeas are looking good again and beginning to turn their autumnal shades.  Above is a dwarf macrophylla white which had these beautiful bright white flowers earlier in the summer. They are now turning more green.
Here is Bobo, another small plant but a paniculata variety. I find these easier when it comes to pruning.
Sundae Fraise starting to turn pink around the edges.
Pinky Winky turning pink.  This has the biggest flowers of the lot.
Macrophylla magical Revolution Pink, with shades of green on the flowers.
Magical Revolution Blue which hasn't done so well this year as it was too shaded out, I think. I have moved it in the hope that it will do better next year.  It is going more purple/lilac now and will probably change to pink another year.
Macrophylla Dark Angel looking pretty good.
Only two flowers from Sanguine Merville, (probably down to my not that brilliant pruning!) but they are rather lovely.
Finally another Magical Revolution Pink at the front door and looking probably the best of them all!

6 comments:

  1. I didn't use to take much notice of Hydrangea's but recently they have appealed to me. not too much care needed and when you look into them, so pretty.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Briony. I like the paniculata varieties as they can be cut back every March to about 20-30 cm. The macrophyllas are pruned differently and I never seem to do that good a job with them! Most of mine are grown in big pots. There are so many different varieties and I am sure you'll find one that appeals to you.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Definitely beautiful. I have never warmed to them, but may have to rethink my prejudices. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It took me a long time to like them, but I do like the paniculata varieties especially (and I find them easier to manage). Of course, there is also the beautiful arborescens Annabelle, for a shady/woodland area and I haven't featured her in this post, but there are lots of others featuring her.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! I didn't know they changed colors through the season. I've seen multiple colors on the same bush and someone told me it had to do with the ash level in the soil; but yours start one color and change. Very interesting.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. You need acid soil to grow the blue hydrangeas successfully - where I am, they would revert to pink. Hydrangea flowers do change through the season as they age - some are being bred to do that now more intensely and you can get some quite brightly coloured (not to say garish) ones, should you like those. I favour the slightly more subtle colours although the red flowered ones are quite bright when they are first open.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete