Thursday 12 October 2023

Wanderlust 2023 - weeks thirty-three to forty - Pigments and Powders

 It has been a rather messy seven/eight weeks, exploring pigments and powders.  For me, these included embossing powder (where you use a sticky ink to adhere the powder, heat it and it leaves a raised glossy surface.  It comes in a multitude of types now, metallic, clear, coloured, with glitter, with large or small particles.)  There is also embossing glaze which is a translucent powder, leaving just a hint of colour.  Pigments and powders also included Infusions (dyes with walnut ink added).  I have Brushos (watersoluble pigments which came as a powder) and Pixie Powders (Dye based powders with added mica for a lovely pearly finish).  Most of these will stain if you don't wear gloves, hence the messiness. They are fun to use though!

The first week was thinking of somewhere special to you (I chose my garden) and then enhancing the photos with gold embossing powder, having created a background using the powders.
I enjoyed all the making we had to do for this page - all about lichens.  We added powders to material and to threads and created background papers as well.  I added some embossing powder in white.
This was a bit of a tribute to my parents - Dad died in 2013 and we lost Mum earlier this year. The photo of Mum and Dad is from 1960, when they were guests at a wedding.  I wore the dress she is wearing (which she made) in the photo at her celebration of life service. Her favourite colours were turquoise blue and orange, so that's what I used.  We were using the powders to colour the texture paste.  
Week thirty-six was really enjoyable to make, using embossing powders and glazes and making bold marks with the sticky ink. On the right, the purple and blue glazes allow you to see the images underneath.
This wasn't one of my favourite pages. The teacher used lots of ephemera and her piece was created on a piece of wood. I used die cut shapes to add texture on my page.
I struggled with this page. The teacher showed us lots of techniques, which I enjoyed, but left the page design to us and I took ages to decide what to do.  
This page was by a teacher called Rachel Greig, a photographer and owner of a stamp company in Australia called Darkroom Door (really good quality rubber stamps). She was going to be leading this lesson, but so sadly, she died earlier in the summer, due to cancer.  After consulting with her family, there were two lessons put in place, from 2016 and this one from 2020, where we were stamping and I used powders which were made into paints to stamp with.  Underneath the tags is some journaling about doing something you enjoy every day and making the most of your time.  Two lessons I have certainly taken to heart.  
The Artful Musings lesson was about expressive writing.  The teacher discussed journaling (where you write about something that happened) and then expressive writing (where you write about how you were feeling).  I wrote about being resilient.
The final seven/eight weeks of the course are on Monoprinting and Carving, which I am hoping will be completely up my street!

6 comments:

  1. I can understand the messiness, but I can also see the fun. I love the tribute to your parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It was good to remind myself of the way these powders can be used. I use embossing powder quite often in my card making, but the Brushos have been neglected. It's always good to use your stash! Mum would certainly have liked the colour choices!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. I found this post absolutely fascinating Ellie - thank you so much. I do not know or understand alot of the techniques but you have described them wonderfully.
    I love all your pages but I especially loved the lichen one & the tribute to your parents page - the tags one is also really special. How wonderful that your Mum loved turquoise & orange - such a fabulous combination. 💙🧡 Have a great weekend Ellie. x0x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I am glad that my descriptions made sense - they do to me, but then I was actually making the pages. I really liked making the lichen page and it was fun colour staining the different materials. I was always a bit less than impressed with Mum's turquoise and orange combination but have since realised they are complementary colours, so they work well.
      Have a lovely weekend too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Looks like good messy creative fun Ellie. I especially like the gold and emerging text of the first image. Isn't that a lovely picture of your mum and dad. Very touching that you wore your mum's hand made dress to her life celebration earlier in the year xXxXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. It was really good (and very messy!) fun. I included this photo of Mum and Dad in the little slideshow of photos of her life and was able to point out the dress to interested people. I felt it was a nice link and that mum would have been pleased.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete