Thursday 5 October 2023

Collagraphs - a simple version

I enjoyed the Wanderlust Live weekend at the beginning of September where teachers from next year's course gave us some tasters of techniques and journal pages we may be doing.  I decided to make a little journal with an example from each teacher.  I was particularly taken with the simple collagraph with Claudette Hasenjager.    

I had made collagraphs (colla meaning glue and graph meaning draw) before, when I did my Foundation in Art and Design course.  These are plates made using collage with different textures, varnished (with shellac in my case, I remember) and then inked up and printed using a press.  As the press squashed a little more detail out of the materials with each printing, they were a limited use plate, which I liked, as it made each version more special.  I really enjoyed the process  although it was quite a time consuming one to create the plate, then varnish it, wait for the first layer to dry then varnish it again.  However, I was really impressed with the end result and the detail that was captured using simple materials, such as tin foil. (I enjoy all of the printing processes I have tried so far - lino printing, collagraph, simplified screen printing, block printing, hand carving my own stamps and printing with them, and monoprinting, using the gel plate).

Here are some photos of my collagraph from the Foundation in Art and Design course. This was the original photo I used to create my collagraph.
I then traced the image and reversed it for the plate.
This is the plate - I cut into the surface to create the dark areas, then used foil, string, paper and card to add the texture.
This was the first print, which worked really well.
This was the last print where you can see how much detail has been lost.  It was really interesting looking at these again after fourteen years since I finished the course!
However, during Wanderlust Live, we were shown a simplified version which was created on cardboard, using self adhesive foam, string and lace.  I don't have any self adhesive foam, but I did have ordinary foam, which I used instead, sticking it to the cardboard base with pva glue.
Here is the plate ready to be inked up with acrylic paint.  It is much bolder and with less detail than the collagraphs I made on my art course.
Here is the print on the left and the right hand one was coloured with watercolour.  I was really pleased with how these turned out and with  the detail from the different materials. I would like to try other designs using this technique as I think more detailed images could be created with finer cutting of the foam.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed making collagraph plates and printing. Using this simpler version means they are quicker and easier to produce!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. WOW!!! I always love seeing your creation; but the building pictures are incredible. I especially like the rust colored version. I feel like I'm right there...part of the picture.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I had forgotten about my collagraphs from the art course until I saw the simple version. I did enjoy that Foundation in Art and Design course - one of the best years of my whole life. It was wonderful to just concentrate on creating art and researching artists and makers, with no other distractions for a year.
      I think that although I enjoy many forms of art and craft, printing is my favourite, closely followed by watercolours and then papercraft and felt making.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Gosh those collagraphs are amazing Ellie. I have not heard of this technique before but it looks most fascinating. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. There are lots of collagraph artists on the internet if you want to see what can be done with this technique. It is all about the texture.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete