Saturday 28 October 2023

Things to enjoy in the garden - before Storm Babet...

I took these photos a week or so ago, before Storm Babet decided to make her presence felt and flood a lot of the UK.  The watercourse levels were higher than I have ever seen them in thirty years and we lived in a state of worry for a few days.  We have been so much luckier than so many others and our house hasn't flooded this time. We did get between one and two months' worth of rain in one day.  Here's what caught my eye in the garden before all that happened.  Above and below is my cosmos plant which is at the front door.  It was grown by my sister-in-law and has given me so much pleasure.
The faintest pink colouring can just be seen on the edges of the petals.
Salvia Amistad, which has been great value. I bought six of these earlier in the year and grew them on inside initially. They were planted out in pots and have flowered all through the summer. They are showing no signs of stopping yet, but I expect the frost will kill them in time.
Hydrangea Bobo is putting out two more flowers and its leaves are starting to turn yellow.
Ever reliable Liriope Muscari doing its thing and really needing to be divided (I have been saying that for about four years).
Rose Roald Dahl - there are still buds to come.
A few raspberries from my Joan J plants in a tub.  They have been fruiting since mid August.  If Ii had more space, I would have a lot of these!
Clematis Arabella which has just decided to flower in the last few weeks.  This is a non-clinging variety and I have another of these in the North facing border, but this one has always struggled a bit, so it was lovely to see it flowering.

10 comments:

  1. It is always lovely to see your garden and I am very glad you didn't flood. Some world wide weather moderation would be nice wouldn't it? Raspberries? Mmm. I think they are my favourite berry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. We were really relieved that we didn't get flooded too. It was a scary time. Yes, I agree, it would be nice to be able to send the rain where it is really needed. I picked another few berries this morning which is a lovely bonus when autumn has definitely arrived. I think they are my favourite berry too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking so pretty Ellie ... I have just noticed my first cosmos in flower here this morning. I have been reading here about Storm Babet & all the rain you have had - gosh that's alot. So pleased & relieved you did not flood Ellie. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. My aim is to have something in flower (or interesting to look at) every month of the year. I am getting there! Storm Babet affected many places here in the UK, some a lot worse than where we are. A couple of streets along, nearer the water, there was some flooding and sand bags were issued. Other places have been completely inundated. It must be so horrible. It is a concern as autumn and winter generally bring a good amount of rain (though not usually all in one day).
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. The storm completely flattened my cosmos, and there's another storm on the way to finish off what's left! I do love that rose, Roald Dahl, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I hope the next storm won't create as much mayhem as Storm Babet. I decided I needed to have something other than pink coloured roses, so went for Roald Dahl and Dannahue to finish my collection. They are both really pretty. Sorry to hear about your flattened cosmos - they are such good value plants, aren't they?
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. So many pretty flowers. Hope they hang on for awhile longer for you. All of ours are long gone, so things are looking gray and drab. Sorry to hear about all your rain, and hope you're able to stay dry and not flood. Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. It was worrying for a few days, but we were lucky in the end. The water has gone down again although it will remain a worry through the rest of the bad weather to come. The garden is looking surprisingly happy and the blueberries have loved all the rain.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Lovely garden joys Ellie. Like Jo above, Babet did over my candy stripe cosmos - but why wouldn't it with a serious name like 'Babet' ! :0 Yummy, prolific raspberries & good for a tub as they are beasts. I hope to invest in more soft fruits next spring xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. My cosmos survived (amazingly), but it did have some protection. It has now gone to the compost bin having done so well this year. I would love to have more raspberries but enjoy the odd handful here and there from mine tub. There was one yesterday which I enjoyed!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete