Sunday 24 March 2024

Colourblock

I recently treated myself to a small piece of Tim Holtz's cotton called Colourblock.  (It's no good, I can't bring myself to spell it the American way!)  When he showed the lovely things his talented team of makers had made, I was inspired.  He also explained the the material was based on a colour swatch of his ink pads which he had then grunged up.  It had been scanned and digitally printed on the material. If you would like to see the video, it is on Youtube here.
I decided to make my own version, using some of my ink pads and some watersoluble crayon to give me the grungy look on the edges. The back of this is some packaging cardboard. All the lovely colours make me happy and I really enjoyed making it.  I haven't decided where I'm going to put it or what I shall do with the material yet though...

6 comments:

  1. Both his and your versions are gorgeous. Do let us know what you decide to do with it - and I am with you on the spelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I am a sucker for anything colourful like that and I still don't know what I am doing with the material or my picture! No doubt it will come to me when i'm not thinking about it so much...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. It's a lovely design. At first glance I thought it was balls of yarn, perhaps it's just me that has yarn on the brain, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. Well, it could be worse - yarn on the brain isn't such a bad thing to have!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Hi Ellie .. I think both versions are just wonderful. His are very bright & I have to say I think I prefer your more muted version. Good on you for making that - its just great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. It was a lovely relaxing project. I really like them both. Colour swatching is one of my favourite things to do!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete