Thursday 14 March 2024

Luxmuralis - 'Science' at Lincoln Cathedral

When I heard that Luxmuralis was coming back to Lincoln Cathedral, I booked up as I really enjoyed 'Life' last year.  My blog post about it is here. We were warmly dressed and headed on up last Tuesday night.   This year the presentations were all about 'Chemistry, Biology, molecules, cells, DNA, the history of science, contributions of science to humanity and a reflection on famous scientists past and present' (taken from the description on Youtube).  Above was the development of the study of human anatomy.
The patterns were mesmerising.
I recognised the periodic table...
...and enjoyed watching the development of cells into an embryo...
Equations made some beautiful patterns.
The finale included images of scientists, past and present with their names coming up and I wish this section had been slower so that I could have taken more of it in.  You could stay as long as you wanted up until the Cathedral closed for the night and a lot of people were sitting down to watch.  It was an immersive experience, like being in a giant kaleidoscope, as I said last time.  I am sure it will be a popular event for the Cathedral.
 This video on Youtube will give you a flavour of it - still photos (particularly with a camera which doesn't like low light levels) just don't do it justice.

10 comments:

  1. That sounds really interesting, a coming together of subjects to create art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It is quite an experience. The patterns and colours are really mesmerising.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for posting this. I have just been given a time, and confirmation, that I can pay with cash at the shop when I get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meanqueen. I hope you will enjoy it. It is certainly a sensory experience.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
    2. I've been tonight. Brilliant show. Pics coming tomorrow. Thanks for the tip off.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Meanqueen. You are welcome - I'm glad you enjoyed it.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Gosh what a fascinating show that looked to be Ellie. Something quite out of the ordinary. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. It is a fascinating experience and quite an assault (in a nice way) on the senses, as there is a soundtrack for each section alongside the ever-changing lights and patterns. I'm pleased we have managed to see last year's and this year's shows in the Cathedral, which is a beautiful host!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, that looks amazing Ellie! I remember well the last one you went to. Love that first image - is that the nerve system? Fascinating xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lulu. It was another memorable sensory experience. The video which I linked to gives much more of an idea what is was like, as still images just don't do it justice. Yes, that was the nerves, then it moved into the organs and bones of the body and then cells splitting and growing into an embryo, along with the title pages of early anatomy books. If Luxmuralis comes back again next year, I shall be there!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete