Sunday 14 July 2024

Sunshine and Mandalas

We haven't see a lot of sun recently and while the cooler temperatures have been fine for me, I agree that a little sun now and again would be nice.  There are some plants giving that sunshine vibe, such as this sunflower.  My sister-in-law grew it and I plonked it rather unceremoniously into a pot under the lilac tree.  However, it has rewarded me with this rather lovely flower.
It is like a burst of sunshine, isn't it?
Rose Roald Dahl is also flowering, somewhat later than the other roses, but it is not in the best place as it it rather shaded.  I shall have to see whether I can move it into the light a bit more.
In other news, I was asked to draw some mandalas by a friend, who wasn't sure whether she preferred black and white or coloured, so I did both. They were very enjoyable to make and quite a relaxing activity.  I was inspired after taking a class with Kate Crane - For the Love of Circles.  She showed how with simple shapes, you can build up what looks like a complicated pattern.  My friend chose the black and white one, which I must admit, I liked best too!  I need to draw some more.

6 comments:

  1. Your mandalas are both lovely. I would struggle to choose.
    So many flowers are sunshine on stalks - sunflowers of course, but I see daffodils that way too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. The mandalas are so relaxing to build up slowly and gradually. They look very complex, but aren't when you break the shapes down. Daffodils are definitely sunshiney flowers too.
      Have a good week.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the link. I love mandalas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meanqueen. I think Kate is away from her Etsy shop at the moment, on holiday, but the course is competitively priced and in my view, well worth the money. She is a great teacher too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. This provides a wonderful burst of colour to start my day and for that I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. Sometimes, it is the simple things that bring most joy.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete