Sunday 22 September 2024

Late summer sunshine

We have been lucky to have some late summer sunshine this last week, accompanied by some blue skies and it has been lovely.  
The perennial sunflower Helianthus Lemon Queen is certainly enjoying it...
...as are the bees.  Spot the action shot bee flying to the next flower!
There haven't been that many bees or butterflies this summer, due to the wet and cold Spring, but they were out in the sun busily gathering pollen and nectar.
I stood watching and photographing them for quite a while.  They seem to be mainly buff tailed bumble bees from what I can make out.  (Even today, on a very grey and cloudy morning, the bees are still drawn to the helianthus.)
Other flowers enjoying the weather are the Asters.  They have another name now, but will always be asters to me.  here are September Ruby (I think) and Little Carlow.
A couple of clematis are flowering again too.  Above is Prince Charles...
...and here is Blue Angel.
Finally, in other news, I may have seen a Japanese Anemone, 'Ruffled Swan', on another blog and instantly fallen in love with it.  I have since bought one for myself and it is above.  I particularly like the pale blue/purple backs to the flowers.  The photo is an interesting one as the plant is on the little north facing patio in a big pot, and it was a sunny day when I took this photo, but as you know, my camera doesn't like low light levels, so produced this shot.  The darkness around the plant does make the flowers really sing out though!

No comments:

Post a Comment