Thursday 5 September 2024

Doddington Hall visit - Gardens

 As we were wandering around the gardens at Doddington Hall, I couldn't resist taking a few photos of plants and trees which interested me.  

The walled kitchen garden had a good display of fruit and vegetables.
It also has a pond which is hidden in this photo.  The apple trees through which I was peering are mainly heritage varieties.
Another view towards the pond area.
The waving grasses caught my eye here...
...as did this block of Gaura Lindheimeri.  If you look closely, there are three 'sculptures' made from reinforcing bar and filled with branches and logs.  I thought this was a great idea and could be adapted for a smaller space.  They could be filled with all kinds of materials to make insect habitats for winter.
Hopefully you can make them out in this closer view.  I would love to do something like this in my garden (when I can find a space!).
I do like views like this where something tempts you to explore and see what is round the corner.
The trees were beautiful and ancient.
This summer/autumn planting caught my eye in the formal garden. I like the wispy effect of the grasses too.  The 'everlasting flowers' (helichrysum) look great with the rudbeckia. 
They have repeated this particular rose along this border.  The shades of pink and apricot together caught my eye here.
Finally, for ancient trees, you can't get much better than the sweet chestnut trees they have, which are at least 450 years old.  
They have grown such gnarly trunks and branches...
...and have developed their own personalities.
Just imagine what they have seen through their lifetimes since around 1574.  Incredible!
It was a really good few hours we spent at Doddington and we enjoyed the visit very much.

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing place. I am not surprised you enjoyed your time there. I would have too. Thank you for sharing more of the beauty and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. It is a good place to visit as there is a lot to see and enjoy, even without the addition of the sculpture. I am going to try to get out and see more gardens next year - I haven't done well with that aim this year!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. What a stunning garden Ellie ... I Love places like that as I find them very inspiring. Those old trees are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. It is a very inspiring place and I love looking round gardens, although I haven't done much of that this year. Maybe next year! The trees are really special, aren't they?
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. I've thoroughly enjoyed these posts about your visit to Doddington Hall, it's on my list of places to visit. I've actually just seen a post on Instagram about someone's visit to see the sculptures but on looking on the website, I see the exhibition ends today. What a shame, it would have been nice to visit whilst they were there. I'm just like you, I'd have happily taken many of the sculptures home with me, such wonderful artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It's lovely to hear that you enjoyed the Doddington Hall posts. Yes, the exhibition finishes today, but it has been on for the last seven (I think) years, so it will probably be on in 2025. Maybe you could visit then...
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete