As you may know, if you have a 'Blogger' blog, it is not updating the posts from blogs we follow, so we are all missing each other's new posts, unless we go over to their blogs from our reading lists. Please keep visiting and I will keep visiting too. Hopefully this may be sorted, but it has been going on for a while, so who knows? On the whole, I have found Blogger to be pretty good, but this is first time there seems to be a major issue which isn't being resolved.
On to my actual post.
I have what is affectionately called a Dalek compost bin (the alien enemies of Dr Who - see here for further details), which has worked really well and provided me with lovely compost for the last couple of years. I thought I had cracked the composting recipe and had been busy filling the bin with green and brown waste through the year. It got very hot here and I covered the bin with a white sheet during the summer, to try to keep the temperature down a bit so that the worms wouldn't be cooked.
It came time to empty the bin - a tricky task, as I don't have a lot of room for such shenanigans. Unfortunately, this year something has gone seriously awry as I had slimy, smelly half- decomposed stuff all the way through the bin. No nice, sweet-smelling crumbly compost for me this year. So, I refilled the bin, aerating as I went, mixing in whatever brown waste (cardboard, egg boxes, paper etc) I had to hand.
What have I learned from this experience? Composting is an art as well as a science. I need to ensure I have 50/50 green and brown waste when I add some to the bin. I also need to empty and then refill the bin in Spring, to make sure it is aerated, something I neglected to do this year. Oh well, as we gardeners are so fond of saying, there's always next year!
In order to cheer myself up, I took some photos of flowers in the garden, Above is Rose 'Eyes for You' which has been fantastic this year.
This is Anemone Ruffled Swan, with the frilly edge to its petals.
Rose Dannahue, which has valiantly continued to flower, despite not enjoying the heat.
Helianthus Lemon Queen, normally really tall and with slightly thuggish tendencies in the right spot (it's fine in this garden). It struggled with the heat too, is much smaller this year and has been slightly later to flower, waiting for the much needed rain we have had. It is such a cheerful plant and I love to see it in flower.
Finally, a bee of some kind enjoying the pollen/nectar from the Helianthus.





Beautiful! (and I don't mean blogger!)
ReplyDeleteI went onto their page, queried the issue and was given a slightly snotty reply of - we are trying to fix it and if you read the forums you would have seen that!
I have to say I went round and round their pages and forums and I'll be honest - I never spotted anything vaguely explaining what is going on!
Thanks, kjsutcliffe. I noticed that you were being very proactive - snotty replies are not helpful, but at least the problem seems to have been resolved. I'm always pleased to see the late summer/autumn flowers.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
Sorry the Dalek compost bin let you down this year ...
ReplyDeleteI certainly enjoyed the beautiful flowers you shared - lovely photographs.
Wishing you happy September days.
. . . and yes the blogger issues are rather frustrating!
All the best Jan
Thanks, Jan. I don't think it was the compost bin's fault, it was mine! I will be a lot more careful for this coming year and will remember to turn the bin in Spring! I think Blogger seems to be OK again now, which is a relief.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
I have come looking for you Ellie & found this recent post. It is tricky when blogger doesn't update us.
ReplyDeleteYou are so right - composting most certainly IS a science. That's why I found worm farms to be much simpler & not so messy/smelly if it all goes pear shaped. I used to have rats sometimes attracted to my compost if it was going wrong.
Your flowers look so pretty - things are just coming in to flower here, its still early where we are as its still very chilly. Have a lovely week Ellie. xx
Thanks, Julie and thank you for keeping visiting. I will do my best to get the compost recipe right in future. there's a lovely feeling of circularity when you can use the compost made from your green waste in the garden and I do enjoy that (apart from the fact the compost is really lovely - not this year, of course!)
DeleteBest wishes and keep warm.
Ellie
Yippee, it's back to normal this morning, great to see you again x x
ReplyDeleteThanks, Joy. Yes, it is good that Blogger seems to be behaving again.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
There is an art to composting, I keep mine behind our garage in shade, finding enough brown stuff is the hard bit.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Poppypatchwork. I am saving every bit of brown waste that I can now as I am sure that was one of the reasons things went wrong for me. I hope it will be better next year.
DeleteBest wishes
Ellie
I'm getting the odd blog updating on my blogroll now, I don't know why some blogs are and some blogs aren't, it's very annoying. I think there's definitely a knack to getting the right compost. I no longer have a compost bin, my garden is just too small now. Oh, isn't rose Dannahue pretty, such a beautiful shade.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jo. Hopefully, Blogger is behaving now - I certainly had a lot of blog posts to read this morning! I would have more compost bins if I could, but I only have room for this one. We have others at the allotment, so I shall be able to use those too. I am thinking of getting another water butt too.
DeleteDannahue is a good rose for me so far - it likes a bit of shade and continues putting out the odd flower. The flowers are pretty and have a nice scent too.
Best wishes
Ellie